• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Straw Purchase Question

I just tried to search BATFE website and regulations for "straw purchase" and could find nothing. How does "straw purchase" apply to non licensee sales or trades within the same state? Here is a scenario with all parties being GA residents:

Joe has a gun for sale. Bob wants to buy the gun but lives 12hrs from Joe. Because of the distance Bob explains he has a brother that lives closer to Joe and he can get his brother Billy Bob to meet Joe to buy his gun to then give it to Bob at a later date.

Straw purchase ?

I am not a lawyer but from the way this is written it sounds to me like if there is not a 4473 involved then it cannot be a straw purchase.

Actually it can be a straw purchase.

It's really hard to convince people on the interwebs, because by God they read it somewhere, that straw purchases ARE NOT illegal. What IS illegal is lying about it on a Form 4473. So if you are not buying a gun from an FFL (or transferring it through an FFL), whether or not it is straw purchase is totally irrelevant.

Actually it can be a straw purchase.

It's really hard to convince people on the interwebs, because by God they read it somewhere, that straw purchases ARE NOT illegal. What IS illegal is lying about it on a Form 4473. So if you are not buying a gun from an FFL (or transferring it through an FFL), whether or not it is straw purchase is totally irrelevant.
It doesn't help matters any when ATF says straw purchases are a crime. Like you said, what is a crime is lying on the 4473. They should strike the term "straw purchase" from their literature. It confuses people.

Back
Top Bottom