• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Striper advice- Lanier

Rzr570

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Bought a new center console last week, primarily to fish in the gulf, but I live minutes from Lanier... so it only makes since that I give it a try. I've been striper fishing on various lakes a few times, but have 0.0 idea what to do. What methods/baits are currently working on Lanier and how does the pattern change over the coming months? As I understand, Lanier is a pretty good spot lack too.... same question applies.
Thanks for the help.... and let me know if ya wanna go out for a lake tutorial. Lol

Great striper and spot lake. I'm not the man to help you figure out how to catch em out there but I have been lucky enough to be out there when they are schooling together and man it's a blast. Good luck.

Bought a new center console last week, primarily to fish in the gulf, but I live minutes from Lanier... so it only makes since that I give it a try. I've been striper fishing on various lakes a few times, but have 0.0 idea what to do. What methods/baits are currently working on Lanier and how does the pattern change over the coming months? As I understand, Lanier is a pretty good spot lack too.... same question applies.
Thanks for the help.... and let me know if ya wanna go out for a lake tutorial. Lol

Wish I could help you, but the tactics and locations on Lanier are like night and day to my experience Striper fishing on NW GA rivers, and Carters Lake (in winter). Hopefully someone who is a serious Lanier Striper fisherman will give you some tips.

If you want to get serious about it, hire an experienced Lanier guide that likes to teach, and/or join a Striper club in that area. You will learn much more going that direction than someone trying to explain on internet forums if you're a beginner.

catch a nice big fat brim or bream ans rip of one its side wings off so there's a little blood. Then take a large size 6 hook and run it through its back. Toss you new found bait right on the line where there is sun and shade. Then sit back and wait for all hell to break loose.

There are really 3 main ways you can fish from now until early fall. The vast majority of the fish will be on the south end of the lake. You can really look from the 3 sisters and south. Six mile, Young deer, Baldridge, Flowery Branch Bay, Shoal Creek....you get the drift. First and most important, you need a good graph. If you aren't seeing them you aren't catching them. The most common tactic will be down lining blue backs. Basic setup is 2 oz weight, 6-7 ft of 10-12 lb fluorocarbon, followed by a #4 octopus hook. You'll need a semi decent live well or bait tank to keep them frisky. The second choice is pulling umbrella rigs. It requires a whole different type set up and I don't personally care for it. It is a good way to catch fish though. Very similar, you can also pull lead core line with bucktails. Again, a pretty specialized tactic. Another tactic that has become popular the last couple years is power reeling big magnum spoons. There are a lot of articles online about it and it works. You'll again need to mark the schools first. As for finding the fish, to simplify it, I would start by graphing humps and long points. The fish will also get out in the main river channel and creek channels. The trick is finding them in an open area away from timber so you can maximize your catching and not breaking off.

The mid-day and afternoon bites will lots of times be the best of the day. Call the dam and find when they are generating. Those are the times where the fish will get positioned to catch them easier.

There are really 3 main ways you can fish from now until early fall. The vast majority of the fish will be on the south end of the lake. You can really look from the 3 sisters and south. Six mile, Young deer, Baldridge, Flowery Branch Bay, Shoal Creek....you get the drift. First and most important, you need a good graph. If you aren't seeing them you aren't catching them. The most common tactic will be down lining blue backs. Basic setup is 2 oz weight, 6-7 ft of 10-12 lb fluorocarbon, followed by a #4 octopus hook. You'll need a semi decent live well or bait tank to keep them frisky. The second choice is pulling umbrella rigs. It requires a whole different type set up and I don't personally care for it. It is a good way to catch fish though. Very similar, you can also pull lead core line with bucktails. Again, a pretty specialized tactic. Another tactic that has become popular the last couple years is power reeling big magnum spoons. There are a lot of articles online about it and it works. You'll again need to mark the schools first. As for finding the fish, to simplify it, I would start by graphing humps and long points. The fish will also get out in the main river channel and creek channels. The trick is finding them in an open area away from timber so you can maximize your catching and not breaking off.

The mid-day and afternoon bites will lots of times be the best of the day. Call the dam and find when they are generating. Those are the times where the fish will get positioned to catch them easier.
Outstanding information and thanks a million for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom