• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Striper advice- Lanier

Yes sir I'll run trips whenever asked. Regardless, I'm out every weekend myself. We've had a really good year so far even though the weather has had the fish a little wierd per say. The river run was off and on due to the early warm weather then cold and rainy. It was by far the best spring for big fish. I personally had 4 mid 20's fish and had a couple more 20's by other anglers. Had another true stud come loose at the boat during that same stretch. The lake bite has been awesome for numbers, but due to a super shad spawn the fish have not "set-up" on spots as much as normal. I've been burning a lot of gas chasing them down every trip.

Dustin's advice is spot on.
D Dpate Seems like the striper never made it up the hooch when you posted on the soup that the run was on. Its been a long season with little striper so far.

Dustin's advice is spot on.
D Dpate Seems like the striper never made it up the hooch when you posted on the soup that the run was on. Its been a long season with little striper so far.

Those summer fish are a different group of fish. You'll have some fish that push really far up during the spawn and end up staying. Those summer fish will come once West Point starts reaching into the 80's temp wise. The temps have been behind by a couple weeks and are just now reaching that threshold. Those stripers are searching out thermal refuge. I'm going to be on the lower end of the river for some short trips during the evening this week to see what is happening. The lack of early/spawner fish isn't surprising either. Like I said above, the spring run is kind of odd this year.

There are really 3 main ways you can fish from now until early fall. The vast majority of the fish will be on the south end of the lake. You can really look from the 3 sisters and south. Six mile, Young deer, Baldridge, Flowery Branch Bay, Shoal Creek....you get the drift. First and most important, you need a good graph. If you aren't seeing them you aren't catching them. The most common tactic will be down lining blue backs. Basic setup is 2 oz weight, 6-7 ft of 10-12 lb fluorocarbon, followed by a #4 octopus hook. You'll need a semi decent live well or bait tank to keep them frisky. The second choice is pulling umbrella rigs. It requires a whole different type set up and I don't personally care for it. It is a good way to catch fish though. Very similar, you can also pull lead core line with bucktails. Again, a pretty specialized tactic. Another tactic that has become popular the last couple years is power reeling big magnum spoons. There are a lot of articles online about it and it works. You'll again need to mark the schools first. As for finding the fish, to simplify it, I would start by graphing humps and long points. The fish will also get out in the main river channel and creek channels. The trick is finding them in an open area away from timber so you can maximize your catching and not breaking off.

The mid-day and afternoon bites will lots of times be the best of the day. Call the dam and find when they are generating. Those are the times where the fish will get positioned to catch them easier.
Good to see you on ODT.All the best and see you out there,B13

Everything D Dpate said - But I catch small bream and use those, I didn't have the right setup to keep the herring alive and frisky. I used a 1oz sinker and Octopus hook. Make sure you have a stiff rod and good reel with strong line or you'll just get spooled. They're hard to stop!

Six mile was my area of choice. This time of year I did pretty well down fishing and would use a blue balloon on a surface line off the back of the boat. When things got quiet I'd hit the trolling motor for a few seconds, lots of times right after that a fish would hit.

My other favorite spot was on the west side down towards the dam across from the park there. You'll see a hump and they would always hold on the side furthest from the dam. I caught a lot of big fish there.

OH! And bring a BIG net!!!

Back
Top Bottom