• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Striper fishing the Etowah river

I fish it a fair amount. The best time year is June through end of August (hot). Good spots exist all through the river from the low dam to Rome. My favorite is the stretch from 411 to the Rome bypass. I fish out of a kayak so the shallows are not that big of a deal. If you are in a boat other than a drifter I would suggest coming up from the bypass or getting private access up river from the Euharlee road access point. I see guys running up-river past Douthit ferry and pumpkin vine creek in aluminum boats with jet drives.
I gear and fly fish for em so my recommendations are Redfins and Zara spooks for top water. I've had good luck with medium diving crank baits in shad colors and light colored jerkbaits.
Flies: I run large poppers early in the morning. Clousers minnow in white, chartreuse/white, and pink/white. Krystal clousers work great too. Large white shad style streamers are great too such as Garner's white trash. Getting flies down in the current can be a pain and expect tons of hang ups.
A fellow I go to church with stacks em up with live shad.

Running a boat from Hardin bridge to the low dam is going to be a rough ride. Very shallow just up-river from Hardin.

IMG_0599.JPG
Caught him 3rd week in June on a medium diving crank bait halfway between The Euharlee access and Hardin bridge access.

anyone ever striper fish the etowah river much? I live in Cartersville and have a 14ft aluminum boat. I know where the boat launches are but I don't know where to fish(for striper) or what to use. I've talked to people that said there is some really good striper fishing in there. I grew up fishing rivers up in the Midwest for trout so I know about river fishing but striper fishing is something new to me.
Striper are everywhere and nowhere. They are constantly on the move feeding traveling up and down river. Just keep trying and you will eventually get on them.

Are there any sections that are safe with a 1236 flat bottom job boat with a 6hp? I'm nervous about the current. We go about 6-7mph on the lake.

Back
Top Bottom