• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

stripped Colt lowers

This probably isn't the forum for my question but who cares it's ODT, people do it all the time.

I've built several AR's. I haven't ever built one I'd call a budget build because I prefer to build exactly what I want, not just "an ar". I think I'm about $800+ in my cheapest build and that would be my definition of a budget build. I usually spend good money on barrel's, FCG's, handguards and to a lesser extent BCG's. I can absolutely see the difference in performance and cosmetics. I don't believe in overpaying for a specific stamp. This post got me thinking, a good deal on a Colt lower is apparently $250 and chainsaw Noveske's are upwards of that a lot of times. Aside from cosmetics like stamps/markings, fancy intergal trigger guards, super tacitcooll cutouts or some kind of super durable baked on coating that can survive nuclear blast what makes a forged aluminum receiver $100 to $300 more than another. I understand tolerances make a huge difference, but when you can get a quality mil-spec forged lower with tight tolerances for $50-$130, why buy a $250-$350 one that is just as reliable? I'm not knocking it at all or saying I won't buy one. I almost bought a Noveske lower for my latest SBR build but just couldn't justify it. Just trying to figure out out the reason its 5 or 6 times more than the Anderson/PSA/SPIKE's/RRA of the world.

Someone educate me please so I can justify dropping the coin on a Noveske or Colt or BCM or whatever.

This probably isn't the forum for my question but who cares it's ODT, people do it all the time.

I've built several AR's. I haven't ever built one I'd call a budget build because I prefer to build exactly what I want, not just "an ar". I think I'm about $800+ in my cheapest build and that would be my definition of a budget build. I usually spend good money on barrel's, FCG's, handguards and to a lesser extent BCG's. I can absolutely see the difference in performance and cosmetics. I don't believe in overpaying for a specific stamp. This post got me thinking, a good deal on a Colt lower is apparently $250 and chainsaw Noveske's are upwards of that a lot of times. Aside from cosmetics like stamps/markings, fancy intergal trigger guards, super tacitcooll cutouts or some kind of super durable baked on coating that can survive nuclear blast what makes a forged aluminum receiver $100 to $300 more than another. I understand tolerances make a huge difference, but when you can get a quality mil-spec forged lower with tight tolerances for $50-$130, why buy a $250-$350 one that is just as reliable? I'm not knocking it at all or saying I won't buy one. I almost bought a Noveske lower for my latest SBR build but just couldn't justify it. Just trying to figure out out the reason its 5 or 6 times more than the Anderson/PSA/SPIKE's/RRA of the world.

Someone educate me please so I can justify dropping the coin on a Noveske or Colt or BCM or whatever.

I posted this because I know someone was looking for one, personally I would buy an OEM version 6920 or stick with my BCM blem lowers.
Then again, some guys drop big money on billet lowers (which I don't get) and that crazy Hellbreaker lower...I wouldn't spend my money that way but they aren't spending my money so I don't lose sleep over it.

I have Windham, Aero, Anderson upper/lowers and they all fit nicely and are great. The Aero finish and Engraving IMO are a bit nicer and cleaner, all perform excellent. The only real advantage that I could see from higher end ones is possibly better quality control to keep you from getting one that is slightly out of spec. If it's a standard stripped lower then your paying for the name, possibly better finish and better quality control on specs. And bragging rights of course. Now on the Noveske if your going billet or one of their nicer lowers you get a nicer flared mag well, closed trigger guard and if you get the matching upper it's just super nice and I would say definitely more refined. Searching the web you find some other upper/lower sets that are unique with ambi controls, engravings, and just those nice small finishing touches that make them awesome.

But will the higher end expensive upper/lower sets perform any better than a good quality tight fitting standard milspec set, mm... probably not. Its all personal preference and your justification on what you want to spend and your budget.

I have a couple of builds and because they are custom and I have expensive tastes they come in at 1400-1500 without optics. Add a decent medium end red dot and optic and upwards of 2,000.

The temptation to get a smoking cool looking 400-500 upper/lower set is real but I can't bring myself to do it. Just like cerakoting, I can't bring myself to spend 150-200 to cerakote a brand new upper/lower/free float that doesn't have any wear...

Honestly it's all preference and budget gotta make your own decisions and justify them in your own mind! ;)

In reality an extra $150 - $200 ain't going to break the bank. If you're building on a Colt lower you're likely going to be using premium parts like SOPMOD stocks, KAC or DD rails, and Geissele triggers.

Must have a good amount of rounds through it. Everyone of the new 6920's I have ever messed with or worked on had gritty triggers.

Mine was like that out of the box. I tested against the ALG in my SBR and could not tell any discernible difference. I've heard of other Colts being the same.

Back
Top Bottom