• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Struggling with finding time to reload....

Throw your TV out and you will have plenty of time. I turned mine off the day after the 2012 election and have never turned it back on.
This. I removed cable from the house in Feb 2012 and never looked back. Get loads more stuff accomplished but still don't have lots of free time.

My reloading equipment was all purchased 2nd hand, purchased with funds from sales and trades (total of an initial $50 investment) reconditioned and maintained for a minimum investment. I reload when my on hand stock drops below 1500 rounds of each (major) round. (Doesn't apply to bolt rifle ammo I shoot once in a while.) When I'm reloading, the family is usually otherwise occupied and I can spend the time in isolation.
I tend to shoot less than 1000 rounds a month, and my Lee Loadmaster can cruise through a couple hundred rounds quickly. Right now, I'm thinking I need to load a few 100 rounds of 9mm, but it's not critical ATM.
Don't toss your set up, you'll regret it the first time you have.to pay for that next 1k box of ammo.

I didn't invest any money in reloading equipment, I spent it.
I don't spend any money on tobacco, cable tv, alcohol, tattoos or golf, so I spend it on firearms and related accessories, and tools

What's the rush, if you have time, fine if you don't fine also. Like someone else said "winter is coming". I've been puttering around in my shop for weeks and only just finally made some ammo. No deadlines on Hobbies.

I always slow down in Spring and summer. Longer days more days away from the house, etc.. No way I'm selling though. Another shortage, wrong political wind next time around, who knows, but you'd be wishing you could pump at your own ammo...

I'd rather shoot than reload... that's my problem... I have thousands of $$ invested in a ton of Dillon equipment and supplies.. I am self-employed, so my time is limited during the week. I may be putting it all up on the chopping block. I hate to, but its hard to justify the investment I have made when I rarely make time to do it. Maybe I'll trade it all for something cool!

It's very easy to get lost in reloading by chasing lots of niceties you don't need. Maybe you should just have a Dillon Square Deal set up in your favorite pistol caliber. Pick your favorite recipe and only keep components on hand for that recipe. Spend 30 minutes cranking out 200 rounds before you go to the range. Keep an inexpensive single stage press in a box on the shelf, for those rare occasions where you have some time on your hands and want to load some precision rifle rounds.

maybe look in to selling (one or both of) the 550's and buy a 1050. If time is a constraint then maximize the output in the available time slot.

-If the 550 nets you 600 rounds per hour

-The 1050 will yield up to 1500+ (pistol) per hour, or the same 600 rounds would take 24 minutes.

Take shorter sh!ts and you'll recover 24 minutes easily. Instead of reading on the john, load primer tubes.

Back
Top Bottom