• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stuck suppressor

HydroAuto

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
17   0
Reaction score
Anyone had a suppressor get stuck on a QD muzzle attachment? I have a Specwar7.62 that was used on an AR for a few mags after which it was put on a .30 cal bolt gun. Stupidly, on my part, that was done too quickly and it was still quite hot when I put it on the bolt gun's muzzle brake... and that's where it has been stuck since that day.
Any ideas on how to get it off?

I've had my AAC can get stuck on the brake, I guess I didnt have enough Rocksett on there. I can't remember exactly what I did but I think I just screwed the whole thing back onto the rifle and was able to work it off. That sucks though, its a bad feeling I know.

Have you tried heating it back up? Other option might be to put ice on the barrel and cool it down at the same time. I know that I have to keep pliers to remove the adaptor on my Harvester sometimes after shooting. Can will unscrew from adaptor since they are different materials and heat/cool differently. Yes, adaptor will get stuck pretty good and it is a direct thread on.

Fire off a few rounds to heat it up and then use a kitchen mitt and unscrew maybe?

So far I've just tried 'gorilla-ing' it off with my bare hands while cool. No bueno. Also put 5 rounds through it rapidly and tried to get it off with an oven mitt... still no bueno. I'll try hitting it with some kroil tonight and let it sit a few days, and try the cold gorilla method again with a crescent wrench on the muzzle brake and possibly a big ol' pipe wrench (with some cover to prevent scratching up the can). If that doesn't work, I'll try firing enough full power 7.62x51 through it to get it good and hot and try it again with the wrenches.

Whoops! It's basically shrink wrapped on there now.

If shooting it doesn't do the trick to loosen it with heat... just take the brake off and send the ASR mount/brake stuck together to SilCo. They helped me out with that before. Great service.

And once it's squared away... never put a hot can on a cold brake!

Back
Top Bottom