• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Student athlete recruiting services - Anyone got experience with them?

Meh
I wouldn’t worry too much about the scholarship money .

One of my kids got a lacrosse scholarship to a snooty private school in New Jersey .

He loved playing High school lacrosse .
College lacrosse was very different
Up at 5 am for training , etc etc

He kept up with it and was spending over 50 hours a week at training practice workouts in the gym riding the bus to games etc etc

And freshmen never get to play and they get terrible hazing from the other players .

He injured his knee bad enough to require surgery, recovered and they finally let him play for two and a half minutes in one of the last games of the season .
He took the ball away from the opposing team twice in those two minutes .

Then the coach pulled him out of the game .
He didn’t go back to college after the first year .

HS sports are fun .
College sports are work.

Friend of mine daughter had a basketball scholarship to north ga and after the first year she dropped basketball and got a job as a waitress at Pizza Hut and made more money than she got in scholarship, in a lot less hours than she spent with the sports

If the planets line up and your kid gets a scholarship and enjoys spending 50 or 60 hours a week for it , that’s great, but they can usually earn more money with a decent part time job than the value of the sports scholarships

Basically a scam.

With some good game films, and a good resume with stats, she can do everything herself. Those "agents" don't have an "in" and coaches consider them a PITA.

There are a couple of websites that focus on scholarships sponsored by organizations. I sat through a couple of awards day at local high schools, and was amazed at the amount of money out there. May only be $500 - $1000, but hey, it ads up for the price of a stamp, or an email. At each school there were a couple of students who had scored thousands of dollars in grants in scholarships, a piece at a time.

Unless you have Lori Loughln money, then , yes, you can buy a scholarship.

BTW supposedly baseball is the easiest sport to get a scholarship - most teams, need more total players, but usually only a partial scholly.

I would stay away from it and keep that money in my pocket. My daughter verbally committed to play D1 softball in her junior year of high school. My advice is for her to attend camps at the colleges she is interested in at every opportunity. If her travel team is playing in showcase tournaments, she should email the coaches and let them know her schedule. Be in front of the coaches every chance she gets and let the coaches know she’s interested in playing for them. Don’t sit back and wait for the coach to come to her. My daughter got a offer to visit the school after a pitching camp and just come right out and asked the head coach “what do I need to do to come play for you”. That was all it took. Coach said come walk with me… Verbally committed the next day. Wish her the best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been involved in the recruiting of many high school athletes. The recruiting services are not necessary, especially in today's digital video world. All high school coaches have a service (hudl) that is accessible by all colleges to see game films, bios, etc. The recruiting services are mostly hype and a luxury for those with extra cash

Back
Top Bottom