• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Student loans

Hey, if it’s not hard, feel free to help out. Single income house is still an adjustment.

I was poor until I was 40. I'm slightly less poor now at 45 but I earned it and worked for it all. There is no easy way out and there shouldn't be. Own it and beat it then you are free.

We did a cash out refinance and consolidated my wife student loans to one payment (our mortgage). In doing so we dropped our mortgages payments down 5 years. Got a lower interest rate on our house then I had before l, and what was on her student loans, and only increased our mortgage by $100 a month.

Plus we still have tons of equity in the house. But we also bought our house years ago in the recession. We did the calculations and it would of took us 20+ years to pay hers off. So now she rest easy and we make one payment and if times really get tough we just sell the house and walk away debt free in a way.

I'm sure some people would say this was stupid but she had federal student loans and the minimum payment was like $500 a month.

We did a cash out refinance and consolidated my wife student loans to one payment (our mortgage). In doing so we dropped our mortgages payments down 5 years. Got a lower interest rate on our house then I had before l, and what was on her student loans, and only increased our mortgage by $100 a month.

Plus we still have tons of equity in the house. But we also bought our house years ago in the recession. We did the calculations and it would of took us 20+ years to pay hers off. So now she rest easy and we make one payment and if times really get tough we just sell the house and walk away debt free in a way.

I'm sure some people would say this was stupid but she had federal student loans and the minimum payment was like $500 a month.

That's not stupid. That's taking care of your responsibilities in a way that works. How hard was it?

That's not stupid. That's taking care of your responsibilities in a way that works. How hard was it?
Super easy. Bright Path Mortgage made is really simple and did a lot of work. Went from 3.5 down to 2.75, and knocked 10 years off what we owe, basically went from a 30 year to 20 year.

Our assistant was really friendly and answered all my questions.

Super easy. Bright Path Mortgage made is really simple and did a lot of work. Went from 3.5 down to 2.75, and knocked 10 years off what we owe, basically went from a 30 year to 20 year.

Our assistant was really friendly and answered all my questions.

People think it's hard to do the right thing. Usually it's harder to do it wrong. I've done both. I know.

When , I met my wife She had a student loan from College, I told her we are not taking another Dime, I would use my military TDY per-diem to pay it off, I was TDY 9 months every year for 9 years. When, my daughter went to college, I payed $30k( loan from credit union) upfront for what ever her Scholarship did not pay. I paid off the $30k. By the time , I retired from the military the $30k was paid off.

Back
Top Bottom