• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid hunting stories.....

This is just one stupid thing i did whilst hunting......there are plenty, but this is one of the worst offenses...

Once, I made it all the way to the stand before I realized I forgot my rifle......

tell on yourself, what'cha got?
Jesus H Christ, that's BAD. I have hunted lots of squirrels and coons. My brother and I were at it once, and I was in front of him kneeling, him behind me standing. Squirrel showed up and we both drew with .22 rifles. I stood up right in front of his aim and almost lost a vertebrae. Good thing he didn't shoot. Probably 15-16.

Alright. My first buck.

I was about 16. My oldest brother took me hunting at our friends cattle farm. We walk in one evening and he drops me off at my spot. I'm sitting at the base of a big oak tree right on the edge of the wood line. Wide open pasture to my left.

I've been sitting mabye three minutes when I decide to hit the ole grunt call. About ten seconds after I do this three pointer comes running straight toward me from my right. First time I've ever seen a buck while hunting. He stops about fourty yards straight in front of me. I have my brother's 870. I've got a 3" slug followed by three rounds of buckshot. I take aim and let the slug fly. He takes off running through the pasture right past me at about 20 yards out. I believe I've missed so I stand up and unload the three rounds of buckshot on him. He keeps running over the hill and out of sight! Dammit!

I sit down waiting on my brother to come back to see what is happening. He does, and asks "what the hell was all that?". I tell him I shot a buck. "I sure as hell hope so" was his reply.

We walk over the top of the hill (about 75 yards away) and there he lays.

The really dumb part you ask? I hit him right in the boiler room with the slug on the first shot but somehow missed EVERY SINGLE TIME with the buckshot!

I was a little over zealous I think.

Back when I was in college a buddy and I went rabbit hunting. Typical of rabbit hunting, we busted a lot of brush and got scratched up pretty good by briars. Well I killed a rabbit and field dressed it without gloves and ignored the scratches on my arms and hands. 48 hours later I had a blood infection that damn near killed me. It probably would have if my girlfriend (wife now) hadn't convinced me to go to the hospital. The doctor told me it was a good thing I came in when I did.

Back when I was in college a buddy and I went rabbit hunting. Typical of rabbit hunting, we busted a lot of brush and got scratched up pretty good by briars. Well I killed a rabbit and field dressed it without gloves and ignored the scratches on my arms and hands. 48 hours later I had a blood infection that damn near killed me. It probably would have if my girlfriend (wife now) hadn't convinced me to go to the hospital. The doctor told me it was a good thing I came in when I did.
Sometimes the hardest lessons we learn, are through bad mistakes..Glad your ok and Ya got a smart Lady!

One of my buddies in military college went squirrel hunting with a group I carried over to Washington County in about 1984. He only had a 30-30, LOL.
I didn't think he'd actually hit a squirrel but he did. Destroyed the poor thing. He branched Armor at commissioning but later wound up in military intelligence. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom