• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid hunting stories.....

I nearly got into a fist fight with a co-worker that refused to locate a downed dove he didn't hit squarely. I found and killed it (he didn't have the stomach to break its neck). I never hunted with him again.

It's good that you're bothered but let it go. 45 years is a long time. I'm sure you are an ethical hunter.
Yeah, logic says let it go, but every time I think about it my stomach twists a little. I just hope she died fast.

That'd be a helluva way to go. Glad you didn't
Yeah I should have known the red streak up my arm and the swollen lymph nodes under my armpits weren't good but I didn't get convinced to go to the hospital until I was laying on the carpet in the apartment shivering from a fever and laying in the fetal position. That carpet was really nasty lol

When I got back into hunting just a few yrs ago, I was sitting in the woods watching a patch green grass about 40 yards out.. up shows a doe ,so I get the rifle up,aim and pull the trigger. Trigger won't pull,so I try again same thing... bout a few seconds later she bust me moving and heads out...while my I was still pulling the trigger I lean over and look at the trigger with my finger on it.. well I was pulling the trigger gaurd

Yeah I should have known the red streak up my arm and the swollen lymph nodes under my armpits weren't good but I didn't get convinced to go to the hospital until I was laying on the carpet in the apartment shivering from a fever and laying in the fetal position. That carpet was really nasty lol
Glad your still here!

My first deer, I had a muzzleloader, I shot and dropped it. It was a small doe it dropped right there. I let it lay for a a little while, well out comes another doe, a big nanny doe. I go to reload my rifle and broke open the rifle and put the primer in, dropped my powder in and realized I forgot another bullet..

My first deer, I had a muzzleloader, I shot and dropped it. It was a small doe it dropped right there. I let it lay for a a little while, well out comes another doe, a big nanny doe. I go to reload my rifle and broke open the rifle and put the primer in, dropped my powder in and realized I forgot another bullet..
I made it a point to have extra 209 primers, bullets and an extra firing pin, in each Black Power rifle patch box.

When I started hunting we leased land in Talbot County. I was in my second season of bow hunting (10 or 11 years old at the time) and I was grouping arrows consistently out to 25 yards. 80’s technology with a 45# draw wasn’t that great, so I limited myself to that range. One evening, I had a small doe feeding slowly to within bow range. I stood up, waited til she was broadside, drew my bow and carefully took my shot. I missed high, over her back. She trotted off a few yards, but the dropping of acorns was too much for her to resist. She came back in to about 15 yards. I told myself “you hit high, just aim a little lower”, so I aim low this time and shot under her. This time she had no reaction. I shoot twice more- Arrow #3 was a miss, as was #4!
Now I’m about as flustered as can be, my quiver is empty and this deer is still chowing down on acorns, spitting distance from my stand. I spent the last few minutes of that evening watching this deer feed under my stand until it got dark.

I haven't hunted in years but went with my Dad right before I went into the Navy.
He was a member of a 'club' somewhere in Meriwether county near the Flint River, but they mostly just went there to sit in the cabin every weekend and cook and drink away from their wives and it was the last weekend of the season.
So when I got up early to head to my stand no one else was awake. Because I'm a nice guy I got dressed as quietly as I could and grabbed my rifle and pack on the way out.
I was walking down the logging road/trail about a half mile from the cabin when a nice sized buck walks out of the brush and just stands there looking at me.
I raised my rifle and since he was only maybe 20 yards away knew it was going to be an easy shot.

But I couldn't pull the trigger. I figured he made it through that season, I didn't need the meat, and he just looked (at the risk of getting labeled a pansy or worse) so magnificent standing there in the road. I couldn't do it.
We stood there looking at each other and he finally, slowly, walked off.

I sat in my stand until lunchtime and then went back to the camp for Brunswick stew and a cold beer.

I went bow hunting up in Warwoman and heard a howl. It was 4:30 am and I looked across the field I was at and saw at least 20 eye shines darting back and forth and another howl. I couldn't get back to my truck fast enough and wait for first light before going back out.

May have been just coyotes but I couldn't get the thought of wolves out of my head. All I had was a bow in the friggin dark. I wasn't going to be puppy chow.

Silly I know but I wasn't sure if they were any wolves in the NGA Mtns.

Back
Top Bottom