• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid hunting stories.....

What the hell....I'm too old to really give a **** anyway, might as well just tell it.
Let me start by saying I was born in the early 60's & started hunting when I was 13, so when I got to be about 18 or so, it was the late 70's, early 80's.. I, like some of you on here, even though you might not tell nobody, got my first taste of the wacky tabacky, and I liked it...a lot. Keep in mind this was a looong time ago!
Anyway, went to my hunting land one morning and decided to "partake" of said tabacky before walking to my "stand" which was nothing more than a 2 X 6 plank long enough to nail between 2 pine limbs about 12 to 15 feet up a tree. So I'm sittin on that plank and just listening to all the sounds of the woods waking up and I evidently "zoned" out for a undetermined amount of time. All of a sudden I hear rustling in the thicket somewhere close! I ease my head up and slowly look around trying to figure out where it came from and hoping it was a buck. Well not seeing anything I decided I'd stretch a little. I went to get my Winchester 30-30 which had been laying across my lap all morning.......It wasn't there! I thought, where the hell is my gun!
Then I looked down between my legs at the pine straw below me and there it was!
It had slid off my legs while I was in a zone.....the end.
PS......DON'T DO THIS IT'S DANGEROUS

Kinda hard to think of anything other than missing a nice buck (small/medium 8-point, but nice for that area) and not knowing what the hell happened (think the bullet hit a branch and deflected). Never found any blood or hair, only tracks, and no evidence of broken limb deflection. Came home and fired a round at a target and hit the bullseye. Maybe I jerked the trigger? Can tell you one thing though, the gun I hunt with now has a medium weight barrel with no taper (kinda heavy) and a very light and crisp trigger, much improved over the previous set up and much more pleasant to shoot.

Still haven't avenged the miss with that rifle, lol. To be honest, every season before that one I'd took time to go to the shooting range before deer season and get in a few practice shots so I would be prepared for the trigger pull and recoil. I remember that year I'd rested on my laurels, and paid for it. Lesson learned.
I think a lot of hunting rifles have triggers that are just too heavy. I have found that 2.5lbs sends the round exactly when I want it to go. I've missed two good bucks. One was with a new rifle that I had not adjusted the trigger on yet. Too heavy. The other was with a rifle when I was just starting to experiment with trigger pull weight and the round went before I wanted it to. To light.

I think a lot of hunting rifles have triggers that are just too heavy. I have found that 2.5lbs sends the round exactly when I want it to go. I've missed two good bucks. One was with a new rifle that I had not adjusted the trigger on yet. Too heavy. The other was with a rifle when I was just starting to experiment with trigger pull weight and the round went before I wanted it to. To light.

Operator headspace and timing.

Fellow I know decided to give his Ruger Hawkeye a “trigger job”. The result was WAY too light of a trigger, so much so that just the bumps on his driveway jarred his hunting truck (late 70s GMC Jimmy) enough to set it off. Went through the floorboard and busted the right, front hub with a 264 Win Mag. Caused him to steer off the driveway and hit a small tree. Ended up selling the truck after that, haha.

Edit: He also said he was damn near deaf for week after.

Operator headspace and timing.
Yep. On the one that was too heavy it was a running shot. I was trying to be smooth and feathered the trigger at just the right time. Unfortunately the round didn't fire until a fraction of a second later and I missed just over his back. I had just enough time to be thinking WTF because it didn't fire when I wanted it to before it went off.

On the one that was too light I had an easy shot just as he was stepping out from behind cover. I had been waiting for the shot for about five minutes. As I was moving the cross-hair onto him from in front it fired just before I got on him. To add insult to injury, he only ran about 15 yards and stopped. I had a good quartering away shot and did it right. CLICK! I had short stroked the bolt and failed to chamber another round. When I threw the bolt again he left in a hurry. No shot.

Both my go to guns have jewels set at 1.5 I never touch my trigger until crosshairs are were I want them to hit.i totally believe a good trigger you familiar with makes a big difference.i have seen stock guns with 7#triggers from factory.when savage came out with the acra trigger others followed.

Yep. On the one that was too heavy it was a running shot. I was trying to be smooth and feathered the trigger at just the right time. Unfortunately the round didn't fire until a fraction of a second later and I missed just over his back. I had just enough time to be thinking WTF because it didn't fire when I wanted it to before it went off.

On the one that was too light I had an easy shot just as he was stepping out from behind cover. I had been waiting for the shot for about five minutes. As I was moving the cross-hair onto him from in front it fired just before I got on him. To add insult to injury, he only ran about 15 yards and stopped. I had a good quartering away shot and did it right. CLICK! I had short stroked the bolt and failed to chamber another round. When I threw the bolt again he left in a hurry. No shot.

It was never the gun with me. I shake like a queer eating a hotdog every time a deer gets close. Every time. I get deer within 30 yards alot and every time ole Karl is shaking like a bitch. Im working on it though.

It was never the gun with me. I shake like a queer eating a hotdog every time a deer gets close. Every time. I get deer within 30 yards alot and every time ole Karl is shaking like a *****. Im working on it though.
might as well quit if that feeling goes away,its just killing then

Not me but brother once was frightened by a timber rattler and threw up his 30-30 and blasted a round at it. Problem was the scope mounted, LOL! Cut a nice crescent moon over his left eye.

I've did that more than once shooting my 300 wm , never happened while shooting a small deer or doe, just several nice wall hangers. You see, I wanted to get extra close to those cross hairs to make sure point of aim was on. :brick:

Back
Top Bottom