• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid hunting stories.....

I grew up on a large cattle ranch in Okeechobee Fla. Me and a friend were going to our stands fairly early one afternoon. He wanted to kill turkey and I wanted a deer. He was going to walk another 1/4 mile past me. When I had gotten out of the truck, an 8 pointer ran out of some trees and headed directly away from me and started to cross a big marsh. I was shooting a Rem 742 Carbine in .06 and when he was about 200 yds away and running, the water was getting to be 3-4ft deep for him and he was having to come up out of the water and go back down.
I shot and he went down and so I waded out there to drag him in. When on solid ground, I looked for an entry hole and exit hole but there were none. I looked in between his rack and there was a tiny crease with some hair gone. When I skinned him there was NO bullet hole in that buck. The bullet had knocked him out and he drowned. I had shot too high but he jumped just enough.

I've did that more than once shooting my 300 wm , never happened while shooting a small deer or doe, just several nice wall hangers. You see, I wanted to get extra close to those cross hairs to make sure point of aim was on. :brick:

One of my dads favorite stories is about him getting knocked out cold by the scope on his 30-06. He woke up on his back with blood all over his face.

One of my dads favorite stories is about him getting knocked out cold by the scope on his 30-06. He woke up on his back with blood all over his face.

I was never knocked out, but after coming back to deer camp on of the guys asked why are you bleeding? I was so excited about shooting the buck I didn't realize I was cut and bruised. :pound:

My dad didn't get knocked out but he was close. He was in a stand 300 yards from me. I heard him shoot....then another. I ran like hell to see what he got. He got a bloody nose, a black eye, and one of the nicest bucks I've ever seen. One of my fondest hunting memories.

It was never the gun with me. I shake like a queer eating a hotdog every time a deer gets close. Every time. I get deer within 30 yards alot and every time ole Karl is shaking like a *****. Im working on it though.
Karl I spend a lot of time thru out the year preparing for deer season,keep logs of every hunt,etc.about 20 years ago I missed the biggest buck of my life at that time,and I was ready to say the hell with it.and one day I came to realize that all the preparations of the year are based on the last 5 seconds that you are squeezing that trigger that determines your success.i have to talk to myself every time I take my safety off to make the next 5 seconds count.

Karl I spend a lot of time thru out the year preparing for deer season,keep logs of every hunt,etc.about 20 years ago I missed the biggest buck of my life at that time,and I was ready to say the hell with it.and one day I came to realize that all the preparations of the year are based on the last 5 seconds that you are squeezing that trigger that determines your success.i have to talk to myself every time I take my safety off to make the next 5 seconds count.

I tell myself...."aim small, miss small"....then I yank the hell out of my trigger while ****ting myself. Im trying to calm down but it's hard and I put so much heart and soul into this.

It was never the gun with me. I shake like a queer eating a hotdog every time a deer gets close. Every time. I get deer within 30 yards alot and every time ole Karl is shaking like a *****. Im working on it though.
That’s why we all do it brother! I’ve had to push my leg up against the seat of my stand to keep it from shaking while drawing my bow back on deer before. If that feeling ever goes away I’ll hang it up for good.

Back
Top Bottom