• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid hunting stories.....

You overthink it I think. I get my rounds touching but at game time I'm like a sugared up kid on crack. Trigger pull wont fix that.
It won't fix it, but it will greatly reduce the effect of a yanked trigger. It doesn't matter how hard you yank it if the bullet is already gone. I had a tendency to pull left when I had to take a quick shot with my favorite hunting rifle. It also had a 4.5lb trigger. I dropped a lighter spring in it and reduced it to 2.5lbs. I've never pulled left since.

It won't fix it, but it will greatly reduce the effect of a yanked trigger. It doesn't matter how hard you yank it if the bullet is already gone. I had a tendency to pull left when I had to take a quick shot with my favorite hunting rifle. It also had a 4.5lb trigger. I dropped a lighter spring in it and reduced it to 2.5lbs. I've never pulled left since.

I always hit high. Always.
1028180824.jpg

Got lucky on this one. I hit high shoulder in that nerve bundle and he dropped. If I hit that high in the kill zone he would still be running.

View attachment 1861479
Got lucky on this one. I hit high shoulder in that nerve bundle and he dropped. If I hit that high in the kill zone he would still be running.
Yep. Lighten up the trigger and you'll see them start dropping right in. If the round isn't hitting where your cross-hair is at when you pull the trigger, to much is going on between when you decide to shoot and the weapon fires.

View attachment 1861479
Also, if you don't know where the cross-hair is when the weapon fires, you're flinching. You should be able to call every shot you fire.

I was hunting public land one year.....on the walk in I had to take care of business when a “growler” hit me. There was no waiting to get back to camp, it was do or die time! It was already breaking daylight, so I found a vacant ditch that provided ample cover to handle this urgent business. The nearest truck to my location was about 1/2 mile North of me so I felt confident nobody was around. Afterward, I proceed to my hunting spot. Later on in the morning I killed a nice sized spike buck and my buddy texted me afterwards to check to see if I had shot. I told him I did and he said he’d come help me drag the buck out since it was a decent hike back in there. Anyways, he meets me back at my spot and we begin dragging the buck out together on the deer cart. We are tracking along the same path that I took on the way in so I warn him not to go near the ditch that I used earlier. We’ve been dragging a good while, so we stop for a short break within 40 or 50 yards of “the ditch”. While we are sitting there, I’m looking around, taking the scenery in and also checking for any deer that might wander through. Something up a little ridge above the ditch catches my eye....Its another hunter, sitting in a portable tree stand, about 75 yards above the ditch that I blew up at daybreak! To say that I was embarrassed was an understatement. Turns out he had parked bout 1/2 mile North past my truck but he walked in on a logging road which led him further South. He waved at us and just remained in his stand while we left the area with my deer in tow. After we left the area my buddy darn near puked from laughing so hard about that.

Back
Top Bottom