• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid "technical" question about Waterfowl hunts

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
This year is the last opportunity for my oldest son to apply for a Youth Waterfowl Quota Hunt. He has collected several priority points and since this has been his dream for the past few years, I was thinking that maybe it would be a shame not to give him a chance to try it. The reasons why we have never applied for a waterfowl hunt are that I have never done it, I do not know anything about it, and the fact that I have always thought that you need either a dog or a little boat for retrieval (we have neither one).
Again, I do not know anything about it, so, my stupid questions is: do you actually need a boat or a dog (or else)?

^^^^^what he said.

I would venture more people duck hunt without a dog or boat than with them in GA. I hunt with a dog and love watching him work but they aren’t a requirement by any means.

Ok. My son has been selected. :thumb:

It will be at Oconee WMA - Dan Denton Waterfowl Area Pond 3, two hunters quota hunt.

At this point I have few more questions. Dont lough too loudly, as I said this will be the first time.

A) Oconee WMA - Dan Denton Waterfowl Area, pond 3?
Is anybody familiar with that place? Is it shallow waters?

B) Waders?
I assume the taller the better, anything else I should know?

C) Shotgun?
My son has been using a 22” Charles Daly pump action, 20GA. His only experience with bird hunting is doves. He is very good at it, but I’m not sure it is the right gun for this hunt.
I can give him one of my 12GA’s, but he has never used them, and I don’t think we will have an opportunity for him to practice any time before the hunt so I tend to exclude that option.
Do you think the 22” 20GA would be ok?

D) Shots?
I know they must be steel. Other than that I know nothing about shot sizes.
By the way, the Charles Daly in theory can shoot 3” shells, however we have never tried them. I would rather stick with the 2”3/4.

E) Choke?
I’m not even sure about distances.

F) Hours?
I understand you can hunt until 12pm only.

G) How low can you shoot?
I think you cannot shoot a bird that is on the water. What about while it’s landing, very close to the surface.

H) Stamp?
Can it be purchased online?

I) Anything else I should absolutely know?

Thanks!

That shotgun would work fine. I would use #2s they work fine for wood ducks and big ducks. Yes you can shoot a duck on the water it is legal. Yes I would get yall some chest waders. I would also just stick with a modified choke. Most of the waterfowl areas around let you hunt from 30 minutes before sunrise until 12. You can got to the post office and buy a duck stamp for $25, if you buy it online it cost more.
Thank you very much. I was really convinced about not shooting the birds on the water. Good to know!
Tomorrow I'll take my son to Cabelas for the waders.

Adam covered most everything. One thing I might suggest, you might try other non-toxic shell options rather than steel such as bismuth or tungsten. The shells will be more expensive, but you only need a couple boxes. I say this because they hit harder and kill cleaner than steel. This way he can use the 20ga he is comfortable with and extend his range to say 35-40 yds. Just a suggestion. Good luck, stay safe, and have a great time when you go!

Back
Top Bottom