• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid "technical" question about Waterfowl hunts

What camera/phone is that? I wish all ODT ad pics were this sharp!
Believe it or not that one is just a frame of a video I took. It's an iPhone 12 Pro. I knew the camera was supposed to be great but I did not expect to be so great.

6DpRI4W.jpg

Low light picture are are incredible. This one was taken at 6:31 AM.

QreYYCZ.jpg

Good morning :).
Now we have a question about the behaviors of these nice birds.

Last time when we arrived, there were non birds on the water. We had the first one which landed close to our six decoys (we had 12 but we had put only 6 on the water...). Four more landed just before or just after sunrise. I think the last one was just before 8 o'clock. We left at about 9am after about an hour of not having seen anything else flying.

This morning, we arrived again that it was still dark. We put all twelve decoys in the water and waited. This time however there were already birds on the water, all scattered in "teams" around the pond. We heard them chatting before we could even see them. They were all mallards, from what we could see. Before sunrise they began leaving the pond in groups of maybe seven or ten. After taking off they kept circling over the pond few times (maybe they were waiting for our decoys to join them .... :cool-new:) and then left for good. My son was able to shoot only one bird from the last group, since those were the only ones that flew low and close enough to us.

So my question is about the wood ducks that were flying into the pond (and got attracted by the decoys), 'Versus' the mallards that were already there and then left the pond at sunrise. Is that the the typical behavior of those two species?

Good morning :).
Now we have a question about the behaviors of these nice birds.

Last time when we arrived there were non birds on the water. We had the first one who landed close to our six decoys (we had 12 but we had put only 6 on the water...). Four more landed just before or just after sunrise. I think the last one was just before 8 o'clock. We left at about 9am after about an hour of not having seen anything else flying.

This morning, we arrived again that it was still dark. We put all twelve decoys in the water and waited. This time however there were already birds on the water, all scattered in "teams" around the pond. We heard them chatting before we could even see them. They were all mallards, from what we could see. Before sunrise they began leaving the pond in groups of maybe seven or ten. After taking off they kept circling over the pond few times (maybe they were waiting for our decoys to join them .... :cool-new:) and then left for good. My son was able to shoot only one bird from the last group, since those ware the only ones that flew low and close enough to us.

So my question is about the wood ducks that were flying into the pond (and got attracted by the decoys), 'Versus' the mallards that were already there and then left the pond at sunrise. Is that the the typical behavior of those two species?
Ok what I’m guessing is that your hunting decent size water which is where bigger ducks like to roost. Wood ducks like to roost in smaller pockets of water and fly to bigger water, creeks or rivers. Those mallards were roosted there this morning

Ok what I’m guessing is that your hunting decent size water which is where bigger ducks like to roost. Wood ducks like to roost in smaller pockets of water and fly to bigger water, creeks or rivers. Those mallards were roosted there this morning
Thank you. In that case would you recommend going there later in the day, or maybe near sunset, and wait for the mallards to arrive (return?) to the pond?

Back
Top Bottom