Any input on using bullet ment for subsonic and non subsonic velocities
Screenshot_20191205-201850_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191205-201850_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191205-202404_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191205-202527_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-202527_Chrome.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 8
So you want to shoot a subsonic expanding bullet and super sonic velocity?

how fast are you trying to push them and for what purpose? Hunting?

If you push a bullet designed to expand at low velocities at much higher velocities, it will be like using a varmint round. It will likely expand violently on impact. If for paper punching, no problem. If you want to hunt deer with it, could be a major issue. One other thought, the bullet may deform going down the barrel if it is designed for slower velocities and you push it really hard.

Rosewood

Pure copper is roughly twice as hard as lead. Cast copper also has roughly 10x the tensile strength of lead. I wouldn't be concerned about deformation in barrel. As Rosewood pointed out though, the slugs you posted all appear to have engineered cavities designed to expand fully at low velocity. If you push them to high velocity you might have extreme shedding of petals very early in the wound channel. For hunting, that could result in a horrific but non-fatal wound as it might have extremely shallow penetration. If you are just meeting about with paper targets, why bother? If you are hunting you should do some gelatin block testing up front to make sure you are getting proper penetration. I assume the slugs listed all have what amounts to a penetrator solid core section so you may end up with explosive surface damage but still have core penetration. Again, gel block testing. If the core still retains enough weight and follows a somewhat predictable path, you should be good.

I'm curious, why?

If that bullet is designed to expand a subsonic velocity, you aren’t going to be pleased shooting a deer at 2,000fps. Just my humble opinion. I wouldn’t do it. Better bullets out there for that

Back
Top Bottom