• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Subsonic 5.56

The Speer #14 manual has some subsonic load information in it. The loads call for AA5744 powder behind 55 grain (and lower) bullets. A friend asked me to load him some so he could check the noise level through his new suppressor. I load him about a dozen of them, he said they were quiet but would not cycle his AR. I don't know it that is a normal thing or not!

I have tried to brew a load that will cycle, but no luck yet..Their is one company on the web that sells them, that claims they will recycle..I forget who

Subsonic .223
1.bp.blogspot.com__9eqlYfGomBM_TmlJ640tutI_AAAAAAAADkI_L9yRpE2V8sc_s1600_20110908_P1000451.jpg

The Speer #14 manual has some subsonic load information in it. The loads call for AA5744 powder behind 55 grain (and lower) bullets. A friend asked me to load him some so he could check the noise level through his new suppressor. I load him about a dozen of them, he said they were quiet but would not cycle his AR. I don't know it that is a normal thing or not!

Yup thats normal. You can get a subsonic round but it won't have enough power to cycle the AR's action. As far as I know anyway

Buy some 90 gr bullets, get some Trail Boss, and get to loading.

A semi's not going to cycle, but that shouldn't be a surprise. And your twist rate probably won't stabilize the 90s.

I'm not sure what the point is though-- you've just created... .380 ACP, with poorer wounding characteristics, in a gun that's become a single-shot.
80gr projectiles and up will not fit in an AR mag. You have to single feed those.

Back
Top Bottom