• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

suggestion for backpacking long gun

Where can you hump through miles of woods in GA? There will be hundreds of humpers just like you being shot by the land owners protecting their resources. Stop the fantasy

Lots of public land in north Georgia. And adjoining states. What if I'm backpacking all the way through TN or NC?

There's also bazillions of acres of corporate owned land. Real estate speculators. Foreign investors. Arabs, Japanese, Chinese companies owning American real estate. I think those are fair game to hunt/ hike through/ camp in, during an emergency.

This "backpacking" question isn't just for a doomsday scenario. Could be other situations involving survival and lots of hiking.

Handgun would be any decent .357 Magnum revolver, steel frame, 4" barrel, or a good full-sized semi-auto in 9mm/.40/.45/.357 Magnum.

Rifle would be a 16" M4, or an SAI Scout, or FN/FAL.

Weight doesn't bother me. I've been on numerous loooooong hikes (several days in length over varying terrain) and climbed mountains in Colorado in the past few years.

When I climbed the Knife's Edge in CO, I took a 4.75" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum and wore it concealed in a Hill People chest rig. It was mainly for bears and possible squirrelly people. I was planning on carrying my 16" Winchester 94 .30-30, but firearms are a no-no in some areas. Since I'm a Fed agent, I can bring any firearm I want, but I didn't wanna deal with the hassle of having some granola-eater calling the Rangers on me.

My choice would be G17 accompanied by gen2 sub2k... Same mags, same ammo, coupled with fold away lightness are hard to beat in my book

I've liked the pistol/rifle pairs, but I'm wondering if the sub2k would be decent for hunting food. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I've liked the pistol/rifle pairs, but I'm wondering if the sub2k would be decent for hunting food. Any thoughts?

I have the Red Lion stuff on my Sub 2k and a Bushnell red dot on top, @ 50 yards you can shoot a 2" bullseye right out of the paper. Kinda like one of those BB gun machine guns at the fair.

So I guess it depends on what kind of food you'll be shooting at....

That sounds sweet. Just don't know the take down power of 9mm at 100-200 yds. Only thinking something of size like deer at a distance.

That sounds sweet. Just don't know the take down power of 9mm at 100-200 yds. Only thinking something of size like deer at a distance.

I wouldn't shoot at a deer with a 9mm ever!

If you're going to shoot at a deer at 200 yards, it would be more sportsman like to use a rifle caliber.

100 yards is long shot in Georgia. You would need to use ambush tactics, i.e., shoot down from a tree along a game trail.

Back
Top Bottom