• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

suggestion for backpacking long gun

i would go with a savage model 24. i have one in .222 over 20 gauge that I would probably prefer. Or i could go with a .22 over 20 gauge, a .22 mag over .410 or one of my 22lr over .410. between the rifle, and birdshot, buckshot and slugs it is a pretty capable woods gun. I would not prefer it for any sort of defense though since its a break action double barrel.
View attachment 1048538 View attachment 1048539
Show off :D

Hey, did you get that threaded Crickett that was listed yesterday? LOL

Seriously though, I'd love to have one like that to put my Sparrow on. It's small, lightweight and a .22lr can take a down just about any critter you're gonna find in Georgia.

As far as the guns I actually own, it would be a toss up between my Savage FV-SR and my Norinco ATD. Both shoot .22lr, so I can carry plenty of ammo.

The Norinco is a take down and it's lighter than the Savage, but it only has iron sights. The Savage is heavier and harder to hide, but it has a threaded barrel and a scope.

Tough decision!
i am talking to a buddy about threading mine. if he will do it i will let you know.they can be had for $50 or so pawn shops. get one and i could have him do 3.. thread jack over...

i am talking to a buddy about threading mine. if he will do it i will let you know.they can be had for $50 or so pawn shops. get one and i could have him do 3.. thread jack over...
YESSSSSS!!!!

Definitely keep me in the loop about that! I've got a Crickett in the safe now, but I wouldn't want to thread and rattle can camo it, because it was my daughters first gun.

I'll start looking for a cheap used Crickett to get threaded!

Very nice rifle. But in a go bag, not sure that would fit the bill for size, and capacity. If we're thinking about the whole issue, small, compact, light weight, capacity mags, cartridge size.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

24-3.jpeg

they actually break down quite nicely to fit in a bag or pack. Capacity is definately something to consider. If you need to kill an entire herd of deer while surviving in the woods, this will not be the rifle for you!

Back
Top Bottom