• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestion for two way radios

12   0
Reaction score
I am trying to find a brand of long range 2 ways that are actually long range to keep in car and home so I can get in touch with family if and when SHTF and we’re separate. Hard to believe all the compensated reviewers, so wanted to see if anyone has some real world experience. And yes I’m willing to apply for the FCC To use the GMRS channels for longer range, though in a SHTF situation won’t much care about FCC regs. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am trying to find a brand of long range 2 ways that are actually long range to keep in car and home so I can get in touch with family if and when SHTF and we’re separate. Hard to believe all the compensated reviewers, so wanted to see if anyone has some real world experience. And yes I’m willing to apply for the FCC To use the GMRS channels for longer range, though in a SHTF situation won’t much care about FCC regs. Thanks for any suggestions.
2 cans and a string

GMRS is the way to go, mostly because here in GA, there is a HUGE repeater network thanks to the http://www.northgeorgiagmrs.com/
Other than that, going simplex, range will vary with terrain. For handheld radios, you aren't going to get very far no matter what, a mile or 2 at most unless you're both standing on the peaks of mountains with line of sight. That's a function of antenna and power output.
If you're truly going to only use them for SHTF scenarios, look at these: https://baofengtech.com/ They are inexpensive, multi-band, and can receive a wide range of frequencies including public service. They are HAM radios but as long as you don't transmit on restricted frequencies (or get your HAM ticket), you can buy them all day long. They will do the GMRS frequencies and repeaters but they are not certified for use by the FCC. Again, for SHTF though...

Radios are pretty much line of sight though to some extent they can sometimes bounce off of the atmophere...range has more to do with how tall your antenna is...hand helds are generally 5 watts max...if you get 20 miles range it will be pretty flat terrain or one end will be at the high point of a terrain feature

GMRS is the way to go, mostly because here in GA, there is a HUGE repeater network thanks to the http://www.northgeorgiagmrs.com/
Other than that, going simplex, range will vary with terrain. For handheld radios, you aren't going to get very far no matter what, a mile or 2 at most unless you're both standing on the peaks of mountains with line of sight. That's a function of antenna and power output.
If you're truly going to only use them for SHTF scenarios, look at these: https://baofengtech.com/ They are inexpensive, multi-band, and can receive a wide range of frequencies including public service. They are HAM radios but as long as you don't transmit on restricted frequencies (or get your HAM ticket), you can buy them all day long. They will do the GMRS frequencies and repeaters but they are not certified for use by the FCC. Again, for SHTF though...
No guarantee if or how long repeaters will be working in a shtf scenario as they require power...will depend entirely on their backup plan...

Get the whatever version of the baofeng 5w ham radio is current. We love ours. It's pretty useful listening to local stuff and also use it for FM radio sometimes out in the woods. Battery last a long time when you aren't transmitting. I'm pretty sure you can set the power to half a watt and use the fmrs channels legally without ham license. The bigger antenna also seems to help with fm stations. I know just enough to be dangerous and that's it. So if anyone knows better or something I said is incorrect feel free to correct me.

Back
Top Bottom