• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestion for two way radios

I use Icom UHF commercial mobile radios on GMRS as my wife doesn't have a ham license. I also have a GMRS repeater. For my ham use I use Yaesu HF, VHF-UHF radios. It is nice to have digital modes available to keep scanner owners from listening in. I have considered switching to DMR units for GMRS.
You are basically speaking a different language to me.. I know nothing about Ham... I’ve got to figure out what exactly I need for the house and truck.. any books that teach a newb you can recommend?

You are basically speaking a different language to me.. I know nothing about Ham... I’ve got to figure out what exactly I need for the house and truck.. any books that teach a newb you can recommend?
Scroll down for the chart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service

Also, it's fun to play with them before SHTF or else you won't know how to dial up a repeater anyways. I just saw you were in Blue Ridge? we could probably talk to each other depending on which end of the county you live on. Check these out too:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=437

You probably want a CB in your truck. Most cheap small HAM radios won't do CB frequencies. I've heard(would never ever do this myself) you can mess with people at Home Depot or even drive-thru restaurants with the little Baofeng's.

I am trying to find a brand of long range 2 ways that are actually long range to keep in car and home so I can get in touch with family if and when SHTF and we’re separate. Hard to believe all the compensated reviewers, so wanted to see if anyone has some real world experience. And yes I’m willing to apply for the FCC To use the GMRS channels for longer range, though in a SHTF situation won’t much care about FCC regs. Thanks for any suggestions.

As many others have stated, range will be limited, no matter what the GMRS handheld package states. 20 miles? 30 miles? No way, no how. In using my mobile ham radio on VHF (145 mHz), I've been able to talk as far as 6 miles point-to-point, but that's using 25 watt mobile rigs and we were both hill-topping. Normally, 1-2 miles on flat ground is about max. If you put up a base antenna 25 feet up, you might be able to talk 5-6 miles to a mobile over flat ground.

Repeaters are the way to go. Many times, I can hit a repeater 20-30 miles away with a 2 watt handheld. This would give you a range of 50-60 miles if a distant party can hit the same repeater. If you use GMRS repeaters, the owners typically require a membership fee to help pay for repeater maintenance. And I haven't found GMRS repeaters to be particularly widespread.

However, the point has been made that repeaters may be down in a SHTF scenario. This was indeed the case after Katrina along the Gulf Coast. Cell towers and repeaters were down after being without power for 24-72 hours. Most repeaters (ham or GMRS) have battery backups. Cell towers typically have generators. Both batteries and generator fuel were exhausted after a few days. Southern Linc and a few Verizon towers were operational. I resorted to using the HF rig in my truck for a lot of my communications with other hams. I could reliably talk 20-500 miles from my truck, depending on time of day and the band used.

Baofeng VHF/UHF handhelds have been recommended. They are reliable little radios if you understand how to use them. I have one myself, along with a Kenwood dual-band handheld. However, they can be a bear to program, even if you have experience with other radios. Once programmed, you still need to understand how to change frequencies and maybe even power. I find their menus illogical, but they are usable. They are certainly more complex to operate than your typical bubble-pack FRS/GMRS handheld. If your family is not willing to learn how to use them and/or practice using them, they are not a good choice. CB is still an alternative, with slightly greater point-to-point range than your typical VHF/UHF handheld. However, atmospheric noise (static crashes) and skip can interfere with local communications. Static and skip are not usually a problem with the VHF/UHF FM radios.

Ok, it’s weird.. you would think with today’s tech , we would have better radios but I guess they have put it all into phones and digital stuff. What is an HF rig? And Imhave no experience with any type of radio,but willing to learn.

T
Attend one of the Fannon Ham Club Meetings and the members would be happy to help you with your questions.
http://fcarg.com/

Save your money.....

764763EE-853E-4596-BC44-E61710B25CBC.png

I guess an ignorant question , what about CB radios? for that kind of situation.
Just what I was going to suggest.
I know CB stations pumping a few hundred thousand watts. The Govt apparently doesn’t care about them so a few hundred watt kickers would get their attention.
Without repeaters in a mobile unit they might be as effective as anything else. And yes you can boost handhelds as well. Probably wear the battery out fast though

Back
Top Bottom