Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Colt Lightweight Commander

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Save for Dan Wesson

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Go eat some tacos

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
I'm not too familiar with Ruger 1911s and whats the difference between series 70 and series 80?

I'm surprised more people aren't recommending the Springfield

Ruger is probably the best bang for the buck here (as usual). My only gripe about it is that it's so lightweight it's actually got some real recoil with 9mm. Otherwise it's awesome, with excellent fit and finish and a lot of very nice features.

I've also shot the Colt "Competition' (Gov't, not Commander size there) and it shoots 9mm just as soft as everyone says they do. Good looking gun but you can tell they figured you would be swapping parts out anyway, so they aren't as nicely made as the Ruger even though they cost at least $100 more.

Kimber can't even make 100% reliable 45s, so I would definitely keep away from anything non-standard like a 9mm version. I've handled the Dan Wesson and they are beautiful guns, but again for the price over the Ruger... I just can't see it.

I've had mixed reviews of the Springfield. A friend with a full-size 9mm (Range Officer I think?) had no problems, while another with the short, EMP 'officer' model had nothing but issues.

Save for a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm. Nicer weapon than either of my Kimbers (pricier too). They are great shooters and fit and finish is outstanding. Only thing mi e doesn't like are my Speer 147 gr subs. Too long and flat nosed to make it happy.

MY first choice for a carry 1911 would be a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super. nice alloy frame, great caliber (if you reload) and reliable build.
that being said I have a Para LTC in 45 that meets the same goal, as well as the ATI/ Citadel/ Rock island at a bargain price.
they are steel however so heavier to tote.
right now my 1911 carry (when I carry a 1911) is a Springfield Micro Compact 45 ( alloy framed officer model in stainless with alloy frame).

I'm not too familiar with Ruger 1911s and whats the difference between series 70 and series 80?

I'm surprised more people aren't recommending the Springfield

actually a lot, but most people are talking about the Firing pin block system that was placed in the series 80.
its simply a preventative measure IF you accidentally drop your chambered 1911 on its muzzle from about 18 feet in the air this will prevent the firing pin from moving forward with enough force to pop a primer .
a solution in search of a problem to solve !!!
generally speaking a series 80 will have a bit more creep in the trigger and not quite as smooth due to the additional parts/springs associated with the system.
to me its not a deal breaker either way with a carry weapon.

Back
Top Bottom