Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Colt Lightweight Commander

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Save for Dan Wesson

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Go eat some tacos

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
actually a lot, but most people are talking about the Firing pin block system that was placed in the series 80.
its simply a preventative measure IF you accidentally drop your chambered 1911 on its muzzle from about 18 feet in the air this will prevent the firing pin from moving forward with enough force to pop a primer .
a solution in search of a problem to solve !!!
generally speaking a series 80 will have a bit more creep in the trigger and not quite as smooth due to the additional parts/springs associated with the system.
to me its not a deal breaker either way with a carry weapon.

Ah thanks. I knew it had something to do with the firing pin but didnt know exactly what it was all about.

I'm really itching to get a new gun soon. I really want a 4" 1911 in 9mm as I'm thinking of something to carry. I've been looking hard at the Kimber Pro Carry II and a Springfield Range Officer Champion. I have no experience with SA 1911s but I understand they are pretty decent. I've owned a Kimber Custom II in .45 that ran flawless, so despite a lot of negative opinions of Kimbers I've found their low end guns to be solid, tight and absolutely beautiful.

I've also recently learned that Colt has a 4.25 commander in 9mm so thats an option too. Ultimately I wanted a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm because of the bobtail but I'm thinking for now I'll get a cheaper offering and if I like carrying the 1911 then I can move up into the DW.

What is the opinion of the masses

I've had 2 Ruger SR1911s and loved them.
I actually have a BNIB one for sale now. It's 5inch and in .45. So not exactly what your looking for. But def keep these things in mind for your purchase.

I dont know. When I think 1911 I dont think Ruger but this one dont look that bad. Still thinking about the Kimber too though.

I dont know. When I think 1911 I dont think Ruger but this one dont look that bad. Still thinking about the Kimber too though.

You'll love the Kimber... until the 45th time it hangs up on you, then you'll toss it across the range and buy a nice.

Honestly, short of the Remington R1, the Kimber is the only one I'd avoid like the plague. Any gun company that actually manufactures in NY City is seriously screwed up.

Try the Ruger out if you get a chance. You can spend a lot more on a 9mm 1911, but you won't get a lot more for it.

FWIW... I found that both the Colt and the Ruger did need a break-in before they were 100% reliable in feeding any 9mm ammo. The Ruger took about 100 rounds, while the Colt was around 50 or so.

My Kimber in .45 ran flawless. I broke it in for 500 rounds of FMJ as per the manual and never had a problem. I know they used to have problems with the external extractor but when they went back to the internal that cleared alot up.

actually a lot, but most people are talking about the Firing pin block system that was placed in the series 80.
its simply a preventative measure IF you accidentally drop your chambered 1911 on its muzzle from about 18 feet in the air this will prevent the firing pin from moving forward with enough force to pop a primer .
a solution in search of a problem to solve !!!
generally speaking a series 80 will have a bit more creep in the trigger and not quite as smooth due to the additional parts/springs associated with the system.
to me its not a deal breaker either way with a carry weapon.

It can be converted from 80 to 70 system for about 10 bucks. No permanent alteration, can be changed back at any time.

The Colt will be much easier to sell later when you get your next gun. And the Colt is head and shoulders above the likes of Ruger et al. Get into the internals and you will see the true quality of each gun.

Dude I think you should just buy a Kimber. At the end of the day you gotta be happy. Seems like you've already drank of the cool aid lol.

And you've drank the haterade. LOL!

Its not that I've drank the koolaid but I do like them. Sure I've heard the horror stories but they sell a lot of guns and theres a lot of owners out there with multiple Kimbers that according to them are fine.

That said I'm doing all my research because thats what I do. I still would like to see the Ruger and Colt offerings a little more as well.

Back
Top Bottom