• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestions for a good bug out rifle. What have you chosen and why?

RRA LAR-PDS pistol in 5.56
Short, small, light and 100 meters is an easy target. Anything further and im going the other way anyways.
Bug out for me is survival mode with zero engagement if possible. Just get to mommas house for one more glass of mommas sweet tea and maybe a homemade blueberry pie is all im shooting for.

I've always liked the idea of single action revolver/Lever gun combos in matching caliber (.357, .41, .44, .45lc, etc.). Seems less inconspicuous but just as deadly...Super reliable, powerful, simple, accurate and ammunition for all the pistol/rifle calibers can range from mild to wild.

Give me a Blackhawk and Jm stamped Marlin in matching caliber.

The AR is okay . I just don't like 5.56 all that much. Get one that's a dedicated Glock mag lower ( especially if you already own a G17/G19.) The rifle you want for this specific duty should be lightweight as possible. So the TNW Aero Survival Rifle comes to mind. The Marlin Camp 9 and the Sub 2000 rifles would be good for this job. If you need bigger than pistol calibers I would go with an M1 Carbine either on the original style full wood stock or a Choate polymer side folder if space is at a premium.

I love AKs like most guys here and SKSs to a much lesser extent. If you used an SKS for this job it really needs to be a paratrooper model. To save length and weight. An AK would need to be a side or under folder. I love my under folder but it's gotta be the heaviest long gun I own. If you went with an AK for this job I would get a few 20 round tanker mags and keep one loaded in the rifle. That helps make it easier to stash.
In the run-up to Y2K (remember that non-event?) I purchased a Gen1 alloy frame Sub2000. It's so old it uses S&W 59 mags. Modified a briefcase to hold it and 5 20rd mags (30s stick out of grip too far). Found a police trade-in 59 and used Kel-tec P11. 4 extra 15rd for 59, 2 extra 10rd for P11 and I was 20th century ready to rock. Beauty of the system, other than the short 10rd, all mags interchange between all guns. Still got it all and exercise them occasionally.
Could still be my go to at TEOTWAWKI.

I have finally made a choice....

Drumroll....

Sig 556XI in .223/5.56 :)
Fell in love with it at Clyde's Armory in Athens. I was there to pick up....

Another Drum roll please....

A Sig P320C w/night sights in .45!!!
Consequently, I am in love with this pistol as well.

Look at some of the Keltec SU line of rifles. They fold up and are really rilliable with a piston gas system, lite, and have storage for extra mags. I had one and sold it like a like a dumb ass. One of the fastest shooting guns I have ever shot and they have come down in price immensely since they were introduced. A really cool weapon for folding down and throwing in a back pack. Pair that with a really nice 1911 side arm and call it a day. Then sit back and wait for the apocalypse.:fish2:

Look at some of the Keltec SU line of rifles. They fold up and are really rilliable with a piston gas system, lite, and have storage for extra mags. I had one and sold it like a like a dumb ass. One of the fastest shooting guns I have ever shot and they have come down in price immensely since they were introduced. A really cool weapon for folding down and throwing in a back pack. Pair that with a really nice 1911 side arm and call it a day. Then sit back and wait for the apocalypse.:fish2:
I've looked at the Keltec, and yeah it's pretty good, but I've already put the 556xi on layaway. I couldn't resist and the reviews on the 5.56 model were great. Maybe after I get out of debt on this one...

Back
Top Bottom