• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestions for a good bug out rifle. What have you chosen and why?

.300 Overpriced and not enough in the pipe compared to 7.62 x39. Yeah, that M4 Sopmod kit is so good that they had to go to the HK416. I would bet my life on that weapon the base M4 not so much. Can't tell you where I read it but the base M4 bolt and carrier is modified by SOPMOD to make it more reliable. So like I stated previously they do not bet their lives on a standard issue M4.

If you have the resources of the US military the .300 blackout, .458 Socom is great, if not, not so much.
Most people are not going to be able to carry multiple uppers and three types of ammo in a bugout situation.

I think having both a pistol on your hip and a long gun within easy reach is important .

That being said, I would still want in the long gun to be a carbine-style weapon that is easy to use in, from, or around a vehicle,
if I'm planning on bugging out in a motor vehicle.

If I were bugging out on foot, I would probably not worry about the size of the rifle or that it has to have a collapsing stock .

Assuming you want to stay away from short-barreled rifle and the NFA, then I think a A.R. 15 type weapon with a 16 inch barrel and a collapsing stock would be a great choice .

I would probably want either a non-magnifying red dot scope on it, or an illuminated reticle variable power scope with 1X on the low-end going up to 4X or 5X on the top end of magnification .

.300 Overpriced and not enough in the pipe compared to 7.62 x39. Yeah, that M4 Sopmod kit is so good that they had to go to the HK416. I would bet my life on that weapon the base M4 not so much. Can't tell you where I read it but the base M4 bolt and carrier is modified by SOPMOD to make it more reliable. So like I stated previously they do not bet their lives on a standard issue M4.
I think the only modification to the SOPMOD action is that it will go full auto. Everything else is simply having exterior accessories available to match to the mission. Also, read the post. The only ones using the HK are DELTA and some Marines. So I guess that means we have Special Forces, SEALS and Rangers being gunned down due to their weapons failing. LOL!

Yeah, I'll bet my life on the AR platform. As does 99.9% of the most powerful military on the planet.

cricket 22, light and super accurate.

Seriously?

A .22 single shot rifle?
Or any .22LR rifle, for that matter, even a 10/22???

So your one and only "bug out" rifle will NOT have any role in self defense, or big game hunting (deer, hogs, etc.)?
It will be for bunnies and squirrels and possums. Shoot some crows and turkey buzzards, too, I imagine.

What will be your defensive weapon?

What if you find yourself being shot at or chased by attackers who are, at that moment, 100 yards away? Shoot one of them in the head, reload, and by then the mob is only 50 yards away? Shoot another one in the head, try to reload, and drop your Cricket in a panic as they pounce on your before you can get that third round loaded and cocked?

I would say a 10/22 if you are on the move. light weight rifle, ammo is light and you can carry a 500rd brick. follow up shots are a breeze. let's be real, in a SHTF situation, any gun you point at someone is gonna scare them. whether it's an AK, AR, pistol, shotty or 10/22. is the idea to move fast and get out, or to gun it out on I-285? if i'm gunning it out, i'll take my AK all day long.

Back
Top Bottom