• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestions on my first cans

DEAD AIR MASK 22 HD​

dead-air-mask-hd.jpg

Dead air mask, yes, it's that good!

As for 9mm, depends on what you prefer, quieter or lighter? I have an obsidian 45 and an Omega 9k, and there is nothing on the market I would pick over them. The obsidian is my pistol caliber do-all, and the OMG9k is my super lightweight PCC can.

ETA, the YHM Nitro N20 would be a strong contender if I were in the market again, but it's really a blend of what I already have. And it's $$$

The 22 is a realtively simple choice. I happen to like Dead Air's Mask 22 HD. It's user maintainable, pretty rugged and as far as I know, still up there as one of the most effective general-purpose 22 cans out there.

9mm is a bit more complicated, and is a bit dependent on what you'll be using it on. If you have guns with tilting barrels (pretty much all common guns other than the Beretta 92), you're going to need a Nielson device (muzzle booster). threaded in the appropriate way. If you have a metal-frame SIG, you might need a separate one for that, because the thread is metric (13.5x1mm), and not the standard 1/2x28. The reason I mention this is that these can add significant cost to your can if you don't get them with the can itself.

That aside, I like my Dead Air Odessa, which is a modular can and is fine for 'light use'. One of the advantages is it's a small-diameter, which means I can use it on guns with standard-height sights. If I remember correctly, it comes with a 1/2x28 Nielson device, so you can run it on most things straight out of the box

An alternative (in this case, I'm still waiting for the Form 4) is a Dead Air Ghost M. It's larger diameter and configurable length, but it's very light. However, it ONLY has a direct-attach thread, so for most pistols, you'll need the Nielson device, which runs about $80 for the sleeve and spring. And its diameter is considerably greater than the Odessa and will usually require guns that you use it on to have suppressor-height sights. This too can get expensive if you're going to run a can like this on multiple guns (regardless of the can manufacturer)

As you can tell - I'm biased. I like Dead Air's products.

The 22 is a realtively simple choice. I happen to like Dead Air's Mask 22 HD. It's user maintainable, pretty rugged and as far as I know, still up there as one of the most effective general-purpose 22 cans out there.

9mm is a bit more complicated, and is a bit dependent on what you'll be using it on. If you have guns with tilting barrels (pretty much all common guns other than the Beretta 92), you're going to need a Nielson device (muzzle booster). threaded in the appropriate way. If you have a metal-frame SIG, you might need a separate one for that, because the thread is metric (13.5x1mm), and not the standard 1/2x28. The reason I mention this is that these can add significant cost to your can if you don't get them with the can itself.

That aside, I like my Dead Air Odessa, which is a modular can and is fine for 'light use'. One of the advantages is it's a small-diameter, which means I can use it on guns with standard-height sights. If I remember correctly, it comes with a 1/2x28 Nielson device, so you can run it on most things straight out of the box

An alternative (in this case, I'm still waiting for the Form 4) is a Dead Air Ghost M. It's larger diameter and configurable length, but it've very light. However, it ONLY has a direct-attach thread, so for most pistols, you'll need the Nielson device, which runs about $80 for the sleeve and spring. And its diameter is considerably greater than the Odessa and will usually require guns that you use it on to have suppressor-height sights. This too can get expensive if you're going to run a can like this on multiple guns (regardless of the can manufacturer)

As you can tell - I'm biased. I like Dead Air's products.

I have glocks and m&p's. I shot a glock with an osprey on it one time and really liked it. How do they compare? I liked that you didn't have to change sights with it.

I have glocks and m&p's. I shot a glock with an osprey on it one time and really liked it. How do they compare? I liked that you didn't have to change sights with it.

The sights with 1.375" dia cans really isn't that big of a deal, besides, you will most likely end up with a RDS on you suppressor host anyway.

I've shot an Osprey.

In general, it's hard to get a really good comparison that is useful, unless one of the cans is significantly better than the other. The Osprey was fine. It seemed to be a much more 'no frills' can than the Odessa, which is highly modular (probably more so than I really need), and worked great on a selection of CZs and Berettas.

I've shot an Osprey.

In general, it's hard to get a really good comparison that is useful, unless one of the cans is significantly better than the other. The Osprey was fine. It seemed to be a much more 'no frills' can than the Odessa, which is highly modular (probably more so than I really need), and worked great on a selection of CZs and Berettas.

Is a Nielson device the same thing as a piston?

Back
Top Bottom