• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sunglasses for motorcycles

I got a pair of Bobsters a couple years ago, prescription. They are comfortable and don't flop around. You can run them as glasses or goggles and were a little cheaper than Wiley's at the time.. 'course, I have a windshield, too...:thumb:

I used a set of Wiley-X "Brick" with seals while I was in Iraq. They kept out the sand during a sandstorm while riding in a turret at 45mph. Plus they're ballistic rated. They cost around $120
I went with the Bricks because they seal almost completely. The SG-1 has small vents at the top. They may be better suited for riding as they vent hot air out of the glasses.

View attachment 1586379 View attachment 1586380
THIS^^^^^^^^^

Use a full face helmet. A DOT lid won't do jack in a crash. Might protect your skull from a light to moderate impact, but it will do nothing to prevent your face from grinding away down the pavement for 25 yards... You gonna look funny without a lower jaw, you know?

I know that Harley guys are more into the lifestyle of riding and the clothes and half helmets are a huge part of that image, but I wouldn't risk my face or my life, just to "look cool". And frankly, half helmets don't look that cool anyway. You look like you are about to get shot out of a cannon at the county fair. LOL

Get a full face helmet, one with a drop down shield that gives you built in sunglasses, but you can slide the tinted screen up inside the helmet for when riding at night.

Protects your head, much more aerodynamic, and allows you to add bluetooth for music or taking phone calls while riding. The noise canceling on today's headsets are amazing. I can be going down the interstate at 80mph and the person I am talking to thinks I am sitting in my office...

Question......do you want to look cool, or have something that works????

Look cool.....any old gas-station sunglasses will work

functional....good full face helmet.

Yes, I know you said a Sportster, but if sunglasses were the answer they would use them when road racing.

You want all the protection you can get on your face/head.
I only fell off once, but I landed on my face and opened my eyes with asphalt sliding by about 2 inches from the end of my nose. I was SO glad I had a full face helmet on....SO GLAD. Trashed the $8 face shield, not a scratch on me.

They call them brain buckets for a reason, if you got a brain, wear one. Similarly, if you got a $50 head, then get a $50 helmet.

Question......do you want to look cool, or have something that works????

Look cool.....any old gas-station sunglasses will work

functional....good full face helmet.

Yes, I know you said a Sportster, but if sunglasses were the answer they would use them when road racing.

You want all the protection you can get on your face/head.
I only fell off once, but I landed on my face and opened my eyes with asphalt sliding by about 2 inches from the end of my nose. I was SO glad I had a full face helmet on....SO GLAD. Trashed the $8 face shield, not a scratch on me.

They call them brain buckets for a reason, if you got a brain, wear one. Similarly, if you got a $50 head, then get a $50 helmet.

I have said for many years, there are bikers, and then there are riders.

Bikers are more about image and spend more time parked at the local pub, or in the driveway polishing their bike, or riding "in formation" to Starbucks, side by side like they are on an episode for CHIPS. :-)

Riders, wear decent gear, they know that riding side by side is the worst way to ride and they spend more time riding and less time parked. The ride comes first, fashion and image comes second.

Some people think, "Hey, I am not on a crotch rocket, I don't need all that high tech gear"...

Well, when you are bouncing down the asphalt at 45mph, the asphalt doesn't know if you were on a Hayabusa, or a Vespa. The damage is the same.

My advice is to dress for the crash, not for the ride... I have hit the pavement twice on the street, and once up on Road Atlanta. Got banged up a bit, but I walked away from all 3 because I had my gear on. I have friends that race and routinely go down at 120mph+, and almost every time, they walk away, fix up the bike and get back out on track the same day...

Good gear works.

And before someone replies back with how we are being dicks in our responses... I would say that if someone asked the best way to carry a loaded gun tucked into their jeans with no holster, you would see similar responses from people that know better... haha

IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0397.jpg

I picked those up at Rebel Customs (Cartersville) for $25 and all i know is glasses have come a long way since 2003. These were awesome on I75 running purty fast in the wind. I ripped the tag off so i don't know who makes'em Robert would probably mail?

Back
Top Bottom