• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed 30-30?

4man150

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
I've got this strange urge to want to suppress a 30-30. There are a few pictures and a couple videos on the web from where folks have done it before, but I wanted to see if anyone here has done it.

I've got a 336 that is well used and abused. I could go two ways, either just thread and get suppressor on it, or thread/refinish etc. The beauty of this gun is that it's already got its marks and I don't mind it riding in the floor board etc.

From what I gather, it would need to be threaded 1/2x28 due to barrel diamter, and the Magazine tube would either have to be trimmed or shortened.

Thread it 5/8x24 which is 30 cal threading. Don't use 1/2x28 as it will allow a 223 can/brake to be installed and bad things can/will happen then. 30-30 should suppress good with about any 30 cal can as it isn't a hot round. The can should also reduce recoil and make it more pleasant to shoot.

Thread it 5/8x24 which is 30 cal threading. Don't use 1/2x28 as it will allow a 223 can/brake to be installed and bad things can/will happen then. 30-30 should suppress good with about any 30 cal can as it isn't a hot round. The can should also reduce recoil and make it more pleasant to shoot.

Not many 30-30 barrels are big enough for 5/8X24. Unless you have a rare bull barrel or octagonal barrel, you have to use 1/2X28.

The only drawback I have run into on my suppressed 30-30 is factory twist limits bullet selection for subs to under 180gr. But you have more power than a 357 pistol, and it is VERY quiet. :becky:

From what I gather, it would need to be threaded 1/2x28 due to barrel diamter, and the Magazine tube would either have to be trimmed or shortened.

Yes, you will need to shorten the mag tube. Takes 10 minutes to do and requires minimal tools.

The suppressor Maker has a 1/2x28 thread pitch flash hider with a 30 Cal bore, so I'm good there.

Back
Top Bottom