• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed 300 blackout subsonic....not quiet.

I have a Sig 7.62QD on a Sig M400 9.5" 300BO. It is very quiet. I step across the street and shoot it into the marsh and the bullet hitting the water is much louder than the gun. It's more quiet than a nail gun. I'm shooting S&B 200gr subs. I haven't tested it yet using the Hornady 190gr Sub-X. That's going to be my hog extermination round.

Phone audio is not real life, but full power Lake City M80 through my new Saker 7.62 in the video above.

My Ti-rant 45 on my FNX-45 sounds a lot like my Hitachi framing nailer. The .308 is a bit louder, but the rounds are not subsonic, so it’s expected.

I am experimenting with different load data on the 45. Right now running VV N320 and 230gr plated. It’s super clean burning, but I wonder if a slower burning powder would be quieter. I really like keeping the can clean and reducing the blowback more than having it as quiet as possible.

I found an "at home shooting" quiet round, I think it was a sig round. My range I usually go to has been having some events going on and crowds the available lanes. I like to shoot alone, if possible. I cant focus with unskilled folks fumbling around with guns in close quarters with me.

Since this thread started, I've been trying different powders with Berry's 220 gr, trying to get as quiet as I can with my 8" AR. I'm at 268 days waiting for my Sandman L, but have been using my Obsidian 45 in the meantime, just have to wet the can because it's not very quiet on 300 blk.

My current loads have been with AA #9 and Lil gun, around 1025 FPS, and both are quieter than the action. Really can't tell which is quieter. I did have to open up my gas port to lock back on last round (have an adjustable gas block, so I didn't mind), and also use a carbine buffer.

A gas gun is always going to be louder than a locked breach, manual action gun. You are hearing the gas needed to run the bolt.

Turn your gas block off and see how quiet it is. My 30-30 firing subs is insanely quiet. Shooting a water bottle at 50 yds, and all you hear is the water bottle exploding, no noticeable report other than the hammer dropping.

You can use a different powder that will give you the velocity, but not enough gas to run the bolt, and it will be way quieter, but you have a bolt action gun then.

Today's lunchtime fun, 9mm vs 300 Blackout suppressed. Maybe soon I'll do a 22lr vs 9mm vs 300 Blackout.

9mm = 7.71" barrel CZ Scorpion with Obsidian 45, 147gr Xtreme over 3.2gr of Titegroup
300 Blackout = 8" barrel AR15 with Sandman L, 220gr Berry's over 8.5gr of Lil Gun

I have a Sig 7.62QD on a Sig M400 9.5" 300BO. It is very quiet. I step across the street and shoot it into the marsh and the bullet hitting the water is much louder than the gun. It's more quiet than a nail gun. I'm shooting S&B 200gr subs. I haven't tested it yet using the Hornady 190gr Sub-X. That's going to be my hog extermination round.
I have almost this exact set up. Sig 7.62 QD and a 9.5” .300 upper on my SBR. Mines super quiet as well and the Hornadys sounded great.

Back
Top Bottom