• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed 44 MAG with Bullseye

Wiskey_33

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
105   0
Reaction score
Anyone hand loading 44 MAG for a suppressor? Utilizing 44 MAG cases but trying to download to 44 special velocity for suppressor use.

Have a lot of Bullseye on hand.

Anyone have a tired and true load with 240 grain lead projectiles?

The Hodgdon Reloading Data Center has a bunch of subsonic 240 grain loads for .44 Rem Magnum, all the way down to 759 fps with Clays. Most of the slower and more-popular powders will go down to 800 fps or so, keeping you well-below your 1120 fps maximum for Subsonics.

Alliant's website calls for 6.0 (six point zero) grains of Bullseye to get 894 fps.

Any of these loads should be light-recoiling, as you're effectively duplicating 45 ACP hardball....

The Hodgdon Reloading Data Center has a bunch of subsonic 240 grain loads for .44 Rem Magnum, all the way down to 759 fps with Clays. Most of the slower and more-popular powders will go down to 800 fps or so, keeping you well-below your 1120 fps maximum for Subsonics.

Alliant's website calls for 6.0 (six point zero) grains of Bullseye to get 894 fps.

Any of these loads should be light-recoiling, as you're effectively duplicating 45 ACP hardball....

Thanks. I’ll be running these from a rifle, so the tested 7.5” barrel is about 10” shorter than my Henry.

Should still be good at that length.

Is the massively empty case not an issue? I typically load 2400 in my 44 at higher volumes that 6 gains. Seems the powder shifting could cause issues? Detonation?

I share your concerns with Detonation and Case Volume, but its not like you're forging a new path here.

I don't think I'd go any lower than those starting loads, but since they're published, I would assume that Nosler/Lyman/Hornady/Alliant/Hodgdon. et. al., would've tested them extensively.

Is the massively empty case not an issue? I typically load 2400 in my 44 at higher volumes that 6 gains. Seems the powder shifting could cause issues? Detonation?
Pistol powder is quite fluffy and 300 gr jhp sit quite deep in the case in my case. I thought the same as you and started with trailboss for this reason. Accuracy was...meh. velocity was spot on though.

some pistol powders like Titegroup are designed to work with low case volume. I ran into that playing with some light "cowboy" loads in 45 colt, worried about the low case volume.

Good idea to double and triple check for double loads of powder when there's that little powder in a case. :)

Back
Top Bottom