• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed rimfire question

Its possible the increase in sound is due to the slide coming back enough to let gas out before the bullet exits the can. Gas is escaping back out the ejection port. Do you have a lot of “gas” blowing back in your face? Let someone else shoot it while you stand off to the side. Sometimes its louder to the shooter then ti those standing by.
I believe that's what may be happening. It doesn't feel like a lot of gas blowing back to me, but I have pretty long arms. So the pistol is out away from me.

As someone has already mentioned, have you tried holding the slide closed with your thumb as you shoot it? That will immediately tell you if it is the host or the can.

Also, is it every round and not just the FRP?

I haven't yet. I plan on trying it this afternoon. I'm pretty positive it's coming from the pistols chamber at this point.

There can be huge differences within pistols, using the same can and ammo. At one time I had a Walther P22 and a Sig Mosquito (turd). The Walther was movie-quiet, but the Sig didn't sound like it had much of a suppressor out front at all. The can manufacturer told me that the microsecond that the Walther stayed locked-up longer made all the difference in the world, as more of the energy went out the front...

So I played around with some different ammo and holding the slide shut this evening. The Aguila subs were much quieter with the slide held shut. First round pop with them was significant tho. The CCI 970fps subs cycled and sounded the best. First round pop was pretty noticeable, but they ran pretty quiet after that. I tried a few other loads under the 970fps one, but it didn't want to cycle them. I tried the CCI standard velocity rounds as well. They ran well and were quiet enough. I think I'll stick with the CCI 970's.

I'm in the market for a Ruger MK pistol now. I haven't heard any complaints about running them suppressed. The longer barrel should help too.
You can use supersonic bulk pack ammo if you have a barrel under roughly 4.5 inches. It'll even keep minimags subsonic most of the time.

But, a round that goes 1000 fps
is quieter than another round that shoots at 1070 fps, even if both are subsonic.
As a bullet becomes transonic. air that moves around the projectile can go supersonic, even if the missile (relative to the ground) does not. This causes more noise.

Haven't metered it but I do know that with my Rugged Oculus, my Ruger MK IV is louder than my 10/22 using CCI standards.

It is the barrel length, what suppressors are doing is giving the gas more volume to expand and creating turbulence to slow that gas down before exiting the barrel. Pistol barrel simply has less volume than rifle length barrel.
I just bought an Occulus, you satisfied so far?

Back
Top Bottom