• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed rimfire question

I've posted this before in other threads but might be helpful here. I did a bunch of research into 22lr when I was getting my first can (bought a Dead Air Mask, IMHO it's very easy to clean (main selling point to me in a 22lr can), and has minimal first round pop (FRP)). My go to ammo is usually Federal AutoMatch (bulk 325 packs from Walmart for $21) in my pistols, CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Quiet (for bolt action), CCI Quiet Semi Auto (for semi auto pistols and rifles but harder to find so I don't shoot it very often). Super Colibri is what I shot a lot in some bolt guns before I got my can.

Might revisit as I look more at accuracy in the future, but for now it's hard to go wrong with any of the above.

So here's the data I found in my last research:

Here is the info I have found over the past couple of years of rimfire use and now with cans:

CCI Standard #0032 1070 fps 40 grain bullet
CCI Quiet #960 710 fps 40 gr bullet - great round for the least amount of noise. Ideal for bolt action rifles or single shots. will not cycle semi auto rifles or pistols.
CCI Quiet Semi Auto #975CC 835 fps 45gr bullet - similar to Quiet but with a bit more power so that it will cycle most semi auto pistols and rifles
CCI Suppressor #0957 970 fps 45 gr bullet
CCI Clean 22 Subsonic #934CC 1070 fps 40 gr bullet (same as the CCI standard but with a blue coated bullet for less cleaning- there's also a red coated version that's high velocity)
CCI Segmented Hollow Point #0074 1050 fps, 40gr segmented HP bullet
CCI Subsonic HP #0056 1050 fps, 40gr HP bullet
CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP #0970 710 fps, 40gr segmented HP bullet- same as Quiet above but HP for hunting
CCI Green Tag #0033 1070fps, 40gr lead bullet, target ammunition

Aguilla-
Colibri 1B222337 420fps, 20gr lead bullet (the "standard" Colibiri is designed for pistols- if you shoot it in rifles, make sure each round cleans the barrel so you don't have any obstructions)
Super Colibri 1B222339 590 fps, 20gr lead bullet (Super Colibiri is designed for rifles- more powder makes sure the bullet exits the longer barrels)
Colibri rounds- if you shoot them a lot, clean your chamber before you switch back to LR rounds. I've had issues with carbon ring in my daughters Rascal after shooting a lot of Colibri and not being able to chamber standard 22lr
SSS Sniper Subsonic 1B222112 (50 round) 950 fps, 60gr. Be careful using this with suppressors. I've not shot it but watch your twist rate on barrels, the 60gr bullet will tumble causing baffle strikes in some rifles/pistols. They recommend a 1:7 or 1:9 twist rate for these. Some folks have no issues, but some do. Try without a can first!

Remington Subsonic 21150 (50 rounds) 1050 fps, 38gr HP
Winchester M22 Subsonic S22LRTSUP 1090 fps, 45gr
Norma Subsonic 240065 (50 round) 1017fpg, 40gr HP
Eley Subsonic A05400 (50 round) 1040fps, 38gr HP
Federal AutoMatch 40gr LRN 1200fps (the bulk 325 packs you find a many stores)

Lastly if you are shooting thru a pistol or rifle (SBR) with a 4.5" barrel or less, most of the standard bulk ammo (1100-1200fps, I shoot a lot of Federal Automatch) will stay subsonic depending upon elevation and temps. The speed of sound varies depending upon the temps and elevation. Sea level at 75 degrees F speed of sound is 1122fps.

My Ruger SR22 is really quiet shooting suppressed. Never heard a Glock in .22 in person to compare it to. The SR22 though I can say for certain is like shooting a pellet gun.

I suspect the problem isn't the ammo or the gun. Some cans just aren't very quiet on pistols. Monocores like the one you have are typically much louder than something with individual baffles. They also suffer from a loud FRP. Weaker ammo will certainly help, but with the right can it isn't necessary.

My first 22 can was a monocore from thompson machine, and I was incredibly let down shooting it on a pistol. I eventually had it recored and now it's one of my favorites. It doesn't quite keep up with my Mask, but it's good.

My new pistol arrived today. I didn't realize they made a traditional style with a factory threaded barrel. Saw one on Gunbroker, and I had to have it. I took it straight out of the box and ran a mag of 970fps CCI through it. It cycled flawlessly. First round pop was much quieter, and all subsequent rounds were way quieter than through the Glock. I believe the extra 1.5" of barrel helped a ton. The ejection port turned to the right could make it less perceivable to the shooter I guess. I need to have my wife shoot it while I stand to the side. I'm much happier with the suppressor now. I can't wait till I have some more time to try different ammo in it.

Attachments

• 20220927_195220.jpg
    20220927_195220.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220927_195520.jpg
    20220927_195520.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 17
My MKiv is stupid quiet with basically no barrel. It cycles well with cci sv and cci subsonic. I have an older 1st gen sig sauer can, all baffles, no blast baffle, and lots of volume. Almost as big around as some 9mm cans. All the new modern Rimfire cans are compact, lightweight, and short. And baffle technology has made them quieter and quieter. I love my mask and oculus, but the sig can is kinda cool too. I think suppressor companies would do well to make some Rimfire cans that are a bit larger with more volume, there is a possible market out there, also sounds great and looks awesome on my 15-22 SBR

Attachments

• 31A986AD-045A-4BA3-B530-0CA07E1463A5.jpeg
    31A986AD-045A-4BA3-B530-0CA07E1463A5.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 13
My MKiv is stupid quiet with basically no barrel. It cycles well with cci sv and cci subsonic. I have an older 1st gen sig sauer can, all baffles, no blast baffle, and lots of volume. Almost as big around as some 9mm cans. All the new modern Rimfire cans are compact, lightweight, and short. And baffle technology has made them quieter and quieter. I love my mask and oculus, but the sig can is kinda cool too. I think suppressor companies would do well to make some Rimfire cans that are a bit larger with more volume, there is a possible market out there, also sounds great and looks awesome on my 15-22 SBR
I have a mk3 that had the barrel chopped down. 2 inch iirc. Fun lil gun

I have a mk3 that had the barrel chopped down. 2 inch iirc. Fun lil gun
I did too, and I traded it on here. Was it you I traded with? Can’t remember. The one I have now, I bought the upper. Also can’t remember the company that makes the upper. Pretty neat little accessory but not much for accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom