• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressor Build

mcgraw28

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
2   0
Reaction score
Has anyone built there own suppressor? Looking to buy or build. Trying to research before I decide.... If you have could please give me info/ pics how you built yours.

Thanks

Forgot to tell you wanting one in 22 and 40 cal. I dont have lathe but have everything else needed and very mechanically inclined. Just wanting to know what anyone here has done....

Thanks

Looks like link doesn't work for either of the two at least for me. I have been researching alot on silencer talk and have found a ton of good info. But was wondering if anyone on ODT has built one as well....

My buddy built his .22 suppressor from this design with the freeze plugs. Works well for a $225 build.

FTFY. Can't forget that pesky $200 NFA tax.

If its your first can, I would buy one first, so you can see how they work.

If you're gonna build, start with 22. 40 is much higher pressure, bigger, and if its on a browning style pistol, needs a booster.

Definitely need a lathe, or access to one.

Yea will def be legal. And the designs and research have done a 22 would be easy to build. As the 40 its hard to find info on metal thickness. Going on a glock 22 though.

Build something with a threadless serialized tube for the 40. Like the TM isis design. That way you can thread the back of it for the Gemtech, Liberty, or TM booster mounts. That way you wont have to worry about building a booster assembly. Check out the silencersmithing sections on silencertalk and nfatalk. Lots of good designs and discussion there.

Metal thickness is determined by muzzle pressure and what factor of safety you want. Really wish I had paid more attention in my Materials Science, and fluids dynamics classes.

Most 22's are pretty simple, spare the sparrow and libertys. Just a standard K baffle x7 is very effective. And those can be done on a simple lathe.

If you really wanted an efficient design, I'd recommend an analysis model in LS DYNA.

That program handles dynamic problems like this very well. Option two involves some simple hand calls, but it is going to feel like a brick compared to the efficient design. Option three is trial and error... That one is expensive too.

Back
Top Bottom