• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressor in National Forest?

November Sierra

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
Just wondering if I anyone has any knowledge on this subject. If I go camping in a national forest would it be lawful for me to bring a can?

Pocket Ranger App

43c0abebee3086c64db211f32ae003b8.png

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-124

71be83f26e3fffa31ebdd3e306d95fda.png

On the NF outside of WMA, you are bound by the state rules. On WMA you are bound by WMA rules. The information Red Dawn's post is out dated,

Firearm Restrictions

Some firearm and ammo changes: While it used to only be legal on dog-deer hunts, buckshot may now be used on WMAs when hunting appropriate species (such as deer or bear) and consistent with state law. Hunters may also use suppressed or silenced firearms on WMAs. One new WMA restriction is that only youth may carry a gun and hunt on any big game youth hunt on WMAs.
https://georgiawildlife.wordpress.com/2017/07/17/2017-2018-hunting-regulations-major-changes/

So you should be good to go, provided you have a GWL.

I don't know of any, but there may be some posted areas, and you are bound by those rules. Seems like there was a discussion about a posted "safety zone" in a NF. But outside that, follow state rules on NF.

Georgia state law allows suppressors for legal hunting (or shooting at established ranges) on WMAs.
Federal law doesn't have any restrictions on silencers in national parks for forests, if the gun itself is legally carried or being legally used.
Just watch out that the circumstances of what gun you carry, and how you carry it, don't make you look like a poacher. An officer / ranger / game warden need only have reasonable suspicion to detain you.

Back
Top Bottom