• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressor information

KingTuna

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
15   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have any links they could provide to some reading material on suppressors? I plan on starting a trust later this year and applying for my first suppressor. I believe I will start off with a 22 can first, and apply for a can in 7.62 next year. Just looking to better understand function so I can get a suppressor that will meet my needs and expectations.

https://silencerco.com/suppressed/

Click on "How Silencers Work"

How they work aren't that important, they all use the same basic principal. Just think about what your needs are and you'll get the best suppressor for you. For instance whats most important? Size? sound reduction? POI shift? Weight? Price? Figure out what you're going to be using it for and on and then go from there.

22 cans are a great way to get into the game. Just know that the host gun and ammo play a huge part for 22 cans. Start buying subsonic ammo (CCI standard velocity) for max sound reduction as you find and can afford it. For pistols, try to keep barrel under 4.5". On rifles, bolts rule as you don't get any action noise. Just make sure that any 22lr host are threaded 1/2x28 and .400 threaded. 223 are normally 1/2x28 and .500 threaded so you have to use a spacer on 22lr cans. I would also suggest that you try to make a suppressor shoot somewhere if you don't know anyone with one just to see what the deal is before spending your money. You only buy these once, so get what you want and ask questions. I would also suggest that you look into 45 can instead of 7.62 can first. You may shoot pistols more than rifles with a can. You will find out that high powered rifles are still going to be loud; but hearing same.

For your trust call Dean Phillips. They are great and supressor trusts are their specialty and you do it all by phone and email.

Elizabeth Phillips
Paralegal for H. Dean Phillips
341 Lawrence Street NE
Marietta, Georgia 30060
770-900-9175 office
770-818-5582 fax
NFAlawyers.com
deanphillipslaw.com

Do not buy a can without shooting it first. Especially a 22 can.

There is a suppressor shoot coming in a few months, go to that and see what you like. Make sure you shoot the 22 can you like "cold" to see how loud it is on the first shot or two. There are huge differences, but manufacturers poopoo the first round pop, but it is very important for some folks.

I can tell you what NOT to buy because I did not do the above, now broke and not willing to wait another 9 months to fix my mistake.

Do not buy a can without shooting it first. Especially a 22 can.

There is a suppressor shoot coming in a few months, go to that and see what you like. Make sure you shoot the 22 can you like "cold" to see how loud it is on the first shot or two. There are huge differences, but manufacturers poopoo the first round pop, but it is very important for some folks.

I can tell you what NOT to buy because I did not do the above, now broke and not willing to wait another 9 months to fix my mistake.

What can did you get? FRP is relatively easy to fix with some ablative like vaseline or wirepulling gel. My Sparrow has some decent FRP due to the monocore design but I dont mind. The clamshell, small package, light weight and the fact that its stainless steel all outweight the FRP.

I will definitely try to attend the suppressor shoot. The FRP, different baffle designs, size, and lubes are what I really need to learn more about so that I can choose what can is good for me. I will be using these mainly for hunting. I want to be able to quietly kill off some squirrels at my parents house in town, and I have some coyotes around my house that I'd lIke to take care of at night without waking up my asshole neighbors. Of course being able to instruct my kids without hearing protection while learning to shoot is another plus.

As for the 45 can, I have been reading several threads where people bought a can to use on both 45 and 9. This would be what I would like to do as well.

I have seen the sparrow mentioned several times on this site for a 22 can. Any recommendations I could research on would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom