• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressor information

FRP is of paramount importance if your can is for hunting. Yotes and squirrels are my problem areas, and FRP causes them to bolt every time. Might as well just use a shotgun

I will definitely try to attend the suppressor shoot. The FRP, different baffle designs, size, and lubes are what I really need to learn more about so that I can choose what can is good for me. I will be using these mainly for hunting. I want to be able to quietly kill off some squirrels at my parents house in town, and I have some coyotes around my house that I'd lIke to take care of at night without waking up my asshole neighbors. Of course being able to instruct my kids without hearing protection while learning to shoot is another plus.

As for the 45 can, I have been reading several threads where people bought a can to use on both 45 and 9. This would be what I would like to do as well.

I have seen the sparrow mentioned several times on this site for a 22 can. Any recommendations I could research on would be greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert, just a guy thats done a lot of research but there are two basic internal designs monocore which is a solid piece with the baffle chambers machined out, or baffles in which the baffles are just stacked and put into the tube. Due to the manufacturing of monocore vs baffle design mono always have more FRP. Baffles are harder to manufacturer vs a monocore but we dont care about that. They are a little harder to clean since you're cleaning multiple individual baffles instead of just 1 core.

Theres no "lube". Just whatever you want to put in the can to eliminate the FRP, which is when the can is filled with oxygen and causes that first shot or two to be louder until the oxygen is gone. Water, vasaeline, wire pulling gel are some of the things people put into the can to combat this. I dont run my cans wet so I dont know which substances to avoid but some causes a lot of smoke so do your homework if you plan on running wet.

I like the Sparrow for a .22 can because its steel so you can use the dip to clean it, and it has an inner clamshell to help keep the monocore from getting seized in the tube. On cans without this if you shoot a lot without cleaning often it can be a pain to get the baffle stack out once the lead/carbon builds up.

Sparrow, Spectre, Warlock II and Dobbs Defense ARC22 are .22 cans you should give a look to. I haven't researched new cans lately but I own a TiRant 9 and have an Osprey 9 on order. I also like the Octane 9/45. For 30 cal I'm probably going to go with the Recce 7 but I've looked at the Saker 762, Omega 30 and the Dead Air Sandman.

My Sparrow doesn't have any FRP when shooting subsonic ammo out of a 16" rifle, but definitely has FRP when shooting bulk pack ammo from a pistol.

As Lazarus Lazarus said, running it "wet" does away with all FRP.

If you're going to wet the can right before shooting, water or wire pulling lube will work fine. If you want to store the can wet so you can grab it real fast and shoot a critter in the yard then use Vaseline. It'll stay on the baffles and won't dry out in storage like water or wire lube.

I use a Q-tip and just put a thin coat on the baffles and inside of the clam shells. I DOES smoke a little for the first couple of shots, but there's no FRP.

I shouldn't have said lube, but you knew what i meant in regards to the vaseline, etc. I'm definitely going to do some more reading and I'm going to try my best to attend the suppressor meet. I already plan on picking up a Savage FVSR for the 22 can. Not yet sure on which 22 pistol.

I shouldn't have said lube, but you knew what i meant in regards to the vaseline, etc. I'm definitely going to do some more reading and I'm going to try my best to attend the suppressor meet. I already plan on picking up a Savage FVSR for the 22 can. Not yet sure on which 22 pistol.

Can't go wrong with a FV-SR. I love mine. Pistols you have quite a few options. In no particular order: Ruger Mk, Ruger SR22, M&P 22C, GSG/Sig 1911, and Walther PPK22

I have been looking at the SR22 and the MK series. The SR22 is a good little shooter. I haven't shot a 22 with a suppressor yet, how does the pistol weight affect balance with the suppressor on? For example, does the lighter SR22 feel very front heavy compared to say a Sig 1911 with the can?

I have been looking at the SR22 and the MK series. The SR22 is a good little shooter. I haven't shot a 22 with a suppressor yet, how does the pistol weight affect balance with the suppressor on? For example, does the lighter SR22 feel very front heavy compared to say a Sig 1911 with the can?

The only 22 pistol I have is the SR22 but with my Sparrow it doesnt feel too front heavy at all. One of the reasons I like the Sparrow is because of the size. its a little heavier than an aluminum can but its shorts so it looks good on smaller 22s.

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e15_SNSPerformance_Guns_IMAG1175_zpsdbcfea04.jpg

Nice setup. I'm really liking what I read about the Sparrow and it being steel instead of aluminum.

Thanks. When I researched cans back in 2013 it was generally regarded as the best .22 suppressor with the Spectre being a close second. The Spectre is a baffle type design so its a little quieter but longer as well.

Back
Top Bottom