• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Surf fish rod and reel, what do yall use

Braid is frowned upon on the pier. Depending on the crowd, you will get tangled with other anglers, braid being more difficult to clear than mono. I do use it for casting for Spanish. Live lining is better with a high visibility mono and a wire leader.

Braid is frowned upon on the pier. Depending on the crowd, you will get tangled with other anglers, braid being more difficult to clear than mono. I do use it for casting for Spanish. Live lining is better with a high visibility mono and a wire leader.
Cool thanks for the heads up!

I hate to be negative but if you can exchange it I would stay with a10 foot. Using a 3 or 4 oz sinker . The rod length does not always mean long distance. Use a stiff 10 footer and a good spinning reel.. The only use I have found for my 12 and 13 ft rods is for anchor rods on a pier rig for as an anchor rod. I can cast a stiff 10 footer a far a the longer rods because the longer rods have a limber end.. All this goes out the window if you are distance caster. Which you are not if this is your first long rod. Those people cast clost to 300 yards (yes 300 yards) but requires special skils and expensive custom rods and high priced casting reels.

Back
Top Bottom