• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the concept of this.A week in the bush would expose wear we are deficient.You learned real quick how to remain semi comfortable in the elements while on bivouac's in the service.I learned a lot, had fun and felt acomplished measuring my comfort in the misery with the others that were not as prepared.Some of you mentioned socks.Pack a plenty.Always sleep dry as someone else mentioned.Sound advice.I always obcessed with having all my gear stowed ergonomically;ease of access;comfortable wearing while on the move.I would feel well heeled in the bush with an accurate,light .22 caliber LR,clip fed, bolt action thats easy on the eyes, well scoped with a 4X or fixed power Leupold,shooting its favorite hollowpoint.Taking small game out to 75 meters or the occasional close hog of opportunity behind the ear would be easy.
Think Savage Anshutz;Ruger;CZ;etc.For a pistol whatever feels good in the hand and that you shoot well. I like a mid thru full size high-cap 9mm in a Sig or a Glock.
Picking a holster and a robust Knife took as much thought as most of my other gear.Holster has to wear well with good retention and be quick to access.
I would lean toward the high-end on a good bush-craft knife.Top's;Essee;Kabar all good picks.Someone mentioned stones to sharpen;savy advice.I found a large knife takes thought on its position in your gear to wear comfortably with good access.Good quality pocket knife and multi-tool that I have some mileage with is in for the smaller chores.Frontiersmen and guides of the 18th and 19th century carried a hatchet,thats good enough for me.If they thought it essential,so do I and have made room in my gear for small,sharp antique camping hatchet.Its chores around camp numerous.
Quality hammock,wool blanket plenty of cordage and medium tarp thats large enough to create a "dry" living area for you;firewood and gear for me.
I like a poncho and gaitors to keep gear and boots dry when caught in a deluge on the move.
I like to stowe a fire-kit.One with bic's;rods;fatwood;small magnifying glass,small long burning candle(nite light)etc.Walking stick , extra ammo,magazines ,and a map+compass are must haves moving in the Mtns along with headlamps thats already been mentioned.I find a good penlight and extra batteries always on your person is handy when just a quick look is needed.Soap,whipes,rag,toothbrush,and100% Deet, for hygiene duty.Coffee , candy,asprin/advil and a small Bible should be included with salt and spices mentioned.Coffee sugar and scripture go a long way when food is scarce.
I spend money on my feet,buying the best I can.I also like lightweight quality camp shoes to facilitate drying of footwear and socks when not on the move.I like the idea of fishing gear as waterways are never a bad idea to be far away from while in the bush.Bushpot,hobo set,cup and a simple solid fuel or sterno stove for (cooking in rain or on the move:)
Nuts;beef jerky,energy bars,powder tea/gatorade,several dehydrated meals or MRE'S for food.Most of my gear is simple but well made and tested to work.Less misery and more comfort makes for enjoyable clean fun in the outdoors that gets me in touch with my primitive side.
There is still time to plan for a late Jan early Feb trip when small game is still open.I would enjoy a week in the bush with a few others of like mind.
Ridgerunner

So, a buddy has proposed a week in the North Georgia mountains in September, bring 1 day of food and whatever tools you care to carry. No electronics. Magnetic compass and map, dropped off at point A, picked up at point B. A pistol of any caliber is allowed, and a rifle, legal for the season.
Carry your shelter, water, whatever else you think you need.
I've been camping a lot, hiked a fair bit in the Colorado mountains, 11000 ft. and above.
I plan to do a lot of walking exercise, inclined treadmill wearing a ruck.
So far my list is....
Eberlestocke backpack
.22 Magnum rifle, .45 Glock
Daiwa backpack fishing pole, I plan to travel as much as possible near, and loiter near water features when travel permits, also lures, hooks, enough to set a few brush hooks when feasible
Katahdin water filter, 3l Camelback, lifestraw, several collapsible 1l water bags
Small tent.
Light sleeping bag
Stainless wire
A couple good knives and whetstone
Small Fiskars hatchet
E-tool
Bic lighter and fire steel/ magnesium
Ranger beads
Couple small light sources, headlamp, little lantern, flashlight
Whistle
Grease pen for updating map
Titanium solo stove and pots that all nest together
A couple books on edible plants, that I've been reading and paying attention to when in the woods.
A few changes of clothes, many pairs of socks
Wet wipes
Thoughts? I fully expect to be at a calorie deficit the whole time, trying to minimize it, for energy levels and positive mental attitude. We'll be traveling in pairs.
I'll probably insist on being allowed to bring a SPOT or other emergency locator. Accidents happen.
What else would you add as must-have and nice-to-have? What are your thoughts on best sources of calories at that time of year?
you could do a week naked and afraid as long as you found some water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom