• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Hacks

Night time. You suspect your unknown 'foe' out there in the woods has IR Night Vision Gen whatever...... voila! You got sumpin that'll make their eyes pop...
not true anymore. Most PVS based night vision is auto gated, so it will cut off instantly in a bright light. It will also make you stand out to anyone with NV though, so there's that.

The other day I was out and about and came across a package of 3 roadside flares. They are good for 15 minutes each.

I couldn't think of a survival niche for them.
Can you think of a use for them other than roadside problems?
you can use them to light fires with wet wood. They burn crazy hot and are usually enough to go from striking to good sized wood burning. I've done it.

You can also use them to light thermite. Thermite can be made cheap and easy with ingredients on Amazon. It will forge weld steel (like rail road track) should you need to. It can also cut through damn near anything.

they sell thermite pens (like flares) that will cut locks or fence.

Flares would also be pretty good for improvised fire devices, since they can't be extinguished. Like if you had to set something on fire for whatever reason

not true anymore. Most PVS based night vision is auto gated, so it will cut off instantly in a bright light. It will also make you stand out to anyone with NV though, so there's that.
Familiar with 'gating.' Shuts off receiver to keep it from saturating. It also is a temporary blindness when the receiver is 'gated off'.. You can PW modulate it and get visibility in proportion to the response/recovery time of your receiver but you still suffer a sensitivity decrease on the order of 10 log (of the off gate).....in RF (as in a measurement system it may be possible to average that pulse train over time for controlled conditions, but for NV imaging that would just result in a lot of image trail blurring, IMO.) Physics is physics...it's a real B-word when she want to be...

You know I have to try that now right?
Do I need to take it outside?
Just leave the shell on (or off - don't matter)....just be prepared to clean up one big mess on the inside...

The best way to warm up a hard boiled egg is to peel it and then heat up a pot of water in one of those tea kettle type boilers and fill up a large bowl or carafe with the egg inside for a couple/three minutes..

If you ever find yourself in danger of freezing to death in the backcountry, keep moving. If you stop, even for a minute or two, the sweat on your body will turn ice cold, and you’ll be that much closer to death. keep moving. If you can’t walk, crawl. Keep moving.

The other day I was out and about and came across a package of 3 roadside flares. They are good for 15 minutes each.

I couldn't think of a survival niche for them.
Can you think of a use for them other than roadside problems?
They're awesome for starting a fire when the fuel source is damp. We keep em in all the autos so if one breaks down in a desolate area the flare can serve several purposes.
One major way to send a distress signal is bleed the air from your spare tire and toss it on a fire.

Back
Top Bottom