• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

survival scenario to have some fun and learn along the way *A BET IS ON WITH A FRIEND*

Just wilderness survival? .22 rifle, hands down. Small game is what will feed you and there is little waste. Robins are as tasty as a Dove. Or so I have heard.

Don't know if robin is as tasty as dove but I can tell you that kangaroo rat tastes like filet mignon after a couple of weeks of desert survival training.

Oh and go with the .22. I knew a lot of old timers when I was a boy that killed deer with a .22. Made fun of me for using something bigger. Old country gentlemen that cared little for game laws and more about putting meat on the table.

You can argue the ethics or legality of shooting a deer with a .22 lr but it will do the job if you are a good shot and not ruin any meat. A .17 hmr will do better at longer distances but will destroy a squirrel unless the shot is perfect.

A good .22 bolt action rifle with a scope. You can ask for a couple thousand rounds of ammo and still carry it around with you.

You can argue the ethics or legality of shooting a deer with a .22 lr but it will do the job if you are a good shot and not ruin any meat. A .17 hmr will do better at longer distances but will destroy a squirrel unless the shot is perfect.

A good .22 bolt action rifle with a scope. You can ask for a couple thousand rounds of ammo and still carry it around with you.

I haven't hunted squirrels much down here, but I tell you what. Up north, the big old fox squirrels can take a bullet. You just have to shoot them in the head to be assured they don't get back to a den. When I was a young kid I remember more than one occasion when I shot them in the body and I lost my squirrel. I zapped one with some Remington Vipers and that sucker was still climbing with guts hanging out 18 inches below his hind legs, bleeding like a stuck pig. Headshots only. I'd assume the gray squirrels down here are about the same, but just a bit smaller.

I have killed many squirrels with a single shot bolt action and .22 shorts. It makes for a quiet shot, even in a residential neighborhood if you had to. When you hit a squirrel with a .22 short they just tense up and fall out of the tree. I suspect that some of the higher velocity rounds do not dump their energy into the body of the small animal in the same way that a slower round of the same weight would. I would recommend standard velocity rounds instead of High Velocity rounds if you are shooting small game inside of 50 yards.

1000 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity .22lr

wm_6429298.jpg

Scoped Ruger American Rimfire .22lr Standard Length Barrel

ruger-american-rimfire-22lr-nexttoamericcan4tup.jpg

thank you all for the comment, i cant reveal my choice just yet but iss looking very clear who the winner is already, I'm still sticking to my choice although i have to agree that .17 and a 410 shotgun may not be a bad choice as well

Who says you gotta tote all of it around all the time. If I were surviving for a 6 month period I would establish a base camp and then just carry what I needed when I ventured out of base camp to get what I needed. Plus it only takes one slug or buckshot to kill a deer, and I can eat several days off of that one shot.

i see your point and kind of agree with you but remember you are been dropped off in the middle of nowhere so first you need to find a good place to camp and in my opinion when you are surviving in the wildness you never know when you have to move and set up camp somewhere else due to many different factors so weight will be something i will always consider. just my thoughts

Back
Top Bottom