• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suspension on my Studebaker truck? This doesn't look right.

Also take a close look at the front coils springs. They have most likely been changed with a taller and stiffer spring.
Shame you live so far away, I have an awesome front end guy, learned his craft dirt track racing so he understands the geometry and how changes affect drivability and handling.

Those pictures are taken with the front end jacked up off the ground. My floor jack is resting on the cross member and it's high enough that both tires are off the ground completely. Does that make a difference in your opinion?

No. I would suggest taking it to a local guy or shop that does the old stuff and customs for a living.
https://www.rmgaragejax.com/
These guys are in Jacksonville, I have heard good things but as with all repair ya never know till you talk with them face to face. Trying to diagnose or come up with a proper solution is suspect at best using photos, always best to get a hands on eyeball view. I hope this helps. Still an awesome looking Truck.

The photo of the truck sitting on all fours , the stance is low in the rear high in the front. Common on old drag cars, trucks. Taller springs in the front will change the angle of the upper control arm. On this set up it pushes the frame up and the lower control arm downward altering the amount of travel of the upper control arm.
Then add in a violent launch from the start and this is what I suspect has caused the damage I see in the photos.
It's what happens when you race, stuff breaks a lot and it usually costs $$$.

These photos are taken with all 4 tires on the ground and no jack.

drive cntl arm close hit frame.jpg
driver side cntl arm full front.jpg
pass side cntl arm close showing cracked arm and hitting frame.jpg
pass side cntl arm close showing hit and cracked arm.jpg
pass side cntl arm full front.jpg

I just searched Amazon for Mustang II upper control arm and this picture popped up of stock 1974 to 1980 ones. So it appears I don't have a Mustang II kit installed but an actual front suspension from a Mustang because the picture looks exactly like what I have, without the cracks and bending. This is very helpful to me. Anytime you buy someone else's work and that guy isn't around to ask it makes it difficult to figure out what was used. Johnny Cash song que "I bought it one piece at a time"

41xu0SO-VfL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom