• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from Glock to Wheelgun for church protection team

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I have carried a Glock 30S in .45 ACP for quite a few years. I am on my church self defense team and have qualified well with the Glock. I recently found, due to advancing age and lack of strength in my primary hand that I had difficulties clearing a stove pipe jam and then found I could not reload a magazine even using the mag loader. This is a serious issue for me, if I can't use the tool correctly then I need to consider a different tool.

The answer seems to be a wheel gun, probably .38 with a 2 or 3 inch barrel but has to be carried in an IWB holster and easily concealed, as my Glock is. I can carry multiple speed loaders in .38 with no issues (I currently carry 2 spare mags for the Glock.) The biggest question is, since most shooting opportunities/requirements are going to be less than 20 feet as measured from my station to the main door, how much difference is there in accuracy between a 2 inch or 3 inch barrel? I am pretty good with my backup .38 but now looking at maybe having to use that as a primary. Probably not going to .357 due to possible over penetraton and excess noise. If you were betting someone's life on your accuracy, would you bet on a 2 inch barrel, 3 inch or 4 inch (probably not feasible due to concealment issues).

So, it comes down to being able to man my position in a professional manner with a tool I can use, or give up my position if I can't man the position accurately.

If size is no concern would you consider something like this?

160936_01_lg.jpg

Still in .45acp (6rd) and reloads via moon clips.

Love mine. Great factory trigger.

Good luck to you and kudos for being on your church's response team!

S&W 686 in the 3" 3-5-7 model is your friend.
It Has a Hillary Hole, but it's accurate.

Or a 386 titanium in 2-1/2 " if weight is a concern for concealment.
Both are 7 shot cylinders

386 is gonna be pricy, though.
And I'd shoot full loads from it in a relaxed environment before you decide on full 357 loads for a SHTF situation inside a Church.
Plus, you have to consider over penetration, if your shooting a skinny guy, with a 357, even with hollow points.

386 has noticeable felt recoil, in a relaxed situation to say the least.
I think it weighs 11oz empty.

I have carried a Glock 30S in .45 ACP for quite a few years. I am on my church self defense team and have qualified well with the Glock. I recently found, due to advancing age and lack of strength in my primary hand that I had difficulties clearing a stove pipe jam and then found I could not reload a magazine even using the mag loader. This is a serious issue for me, if I can't use the tool correctly then I need to consider a different tool.

The answer seems to be a wheel gun, probably .38 with a 2 or 3 inch barrel but has to be carried in an IWB holster and easily concealed, as my Glock is. I can carry multiple speed loaders in .38 with no issues (I currently carry 2 spare mags for the Glock.) The biggest question is, since most shooting opportunities/requirements are going to be less than 20 feet as measured from my station to the main door, how much difference is there in accuracy between a 2 inch or 3 inch barrel? I am pretty good with my backup .38 but now looking at maybe having to use that as a primary. Probably not going to .357 due to possible over penetraton and excess noise. If you were betting someone's life on your accuracy, would you bet on a 2 inch barrel, 3 inch or 4 inch (probably not feasible due to concealment issues).

So, it comes down to being able to man my position in a professional manner with a tool I can use, or give up my position if I can't man the position accurately.
If ya on security detail…ya wanna not drop capacity imo. I’d go with something like a s&w equalizer in 9mm that has up to 15 round capacity and specifically designed with easy slide rack technology for cases such as yours. Still packs enough in a mag and a quick reload is an ease. That my lil opinion.
IMG_8172.png
IMG_8173.png

Back
Top Bottom