• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SxS for home defense?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Is a "double barreled shotgun" the best thing for home defense?

This guy says so, in his ad to sell his.
FS 12 Gauge double barrel 18" side by side Springfield model 511 shotgun THE BEST DEFENSE WEAPON!

I have my reservations about a two-shot weapon for home defense.
Two shots is good for one adversary, if you don't miss.
If you miss once or twice, figure on needing 3 or 4 rounds to put down your attacker for good.

If the attacker brought a couple fellow thugs to the party-- you're in trouble.
Today's feral humanoids often run in packs, like wolves. Even if they're not literally gang members, they may be friends, brothers, or just bro's from the same 'hood who will join up once in a while to "hit a lick" (commit a serious crime against some person or business).

I want at least a 6-shot shotgun for home defense.
But, I agree that short barrels are better.
So I got rid of my 9-shot combat shotgun that had the extended magazine tube and a 21" barrel or whatever it was. I like 18". 14" would be even better, if it were legal and not an NFA-taxed weapon.

My ideal home defense shotgun would have the following features:

Box magazine fed, with about an 8 round capacity (reasonable size and weight).

Barrel of about 14 inches. Smooth bore, cylinder bore.
I want an open choke to spread the buckshot a few inches at typical in-the-house distances. (But I'll have to take 18+ inches to avoid the NFA, if this gun is going to have a butt stock).

O.A.L. of about 28" - 32"

An actual butt stock that feels good to shoulder, or tuck under your arm to fire from mid-chest level, just by pointing.
(I've seen the 14" barreled bird's head grip "firearms" that are not shotguns, since they never were designed or redesigned for a stock. But I don't like that kind for actual shooting and hitting the target.)

Semi-auto action.

Open sights. Huge rear sight, shallow "U" curved notch. Tall and rugged front sight. Tritium glowing 3-dot sight system.

Tactical flashlight that has a momentary push-contact switch built into the front handguard. Flashlight MUST be mounted close to the barrel, just under it, not hanging down a few extra inches. I strongly prefer a factory-built unit that is mated with the barrel right there at the gun factory, as low-profile as possible.

Chiappa firearms has a "triple threat" 3-barreled break-open 12 ga. shotgun.

If you REALLY love the idea of a break-open concealed-hammer shotgun for HD, this one gives you 50% more ammo capacity.

AND the butt stock has a seam along which it can be detached to leave a stubby half-stock, just long enough to be legal and out of the NFA's restrictions.

OK, so confused as I never saw the interview in #4 before. Heard about it, but never saw it. Is the interviewer... a male or female? Sounds like a woman to me. Is the name Case or Kate? If Case, certainly should be a Kate.

BTW, Mossberg tried out a home defense double barrel shotgun:

Mossberg Maverick HS12

www.gunsandammo.com_files_2013_03_Mossberg_Maverick_HS12_001.jpg

This is a classic case of getting wrapped around the axle over gear and not training.

As law abiding private citizens we should be more dangerous with a double barrel shotgun and a J frame to criminals than they are to us.

Back
Top Bottom