• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SxS for home defense?

Actually it's only 33% more capacity, I'll stick with my 1300 Defender

Check your math: 3 is 50% greater than 2. 2 x 1.5 = 3. You might be getting mixed up because 1 is 33% of 3.

As far as a double barrelled shotty for self defense: I actually recommend this setup to people who I know aren't going to train. Untrained people can short stroke pump shotguns under stress, and semi-autos can jam, especially low cost ones that "non-gun" people are likely to buy.

Sure, a double only has two rounds, but the majority of bad guys aren't going to stick around to find out that you're out of ammo after two blasts of buckshot come at them. Doubles, like revolvers, are simple to operate, and even the average "non-gun" person can figure them out.

So they aren't for me, for the reasons mentioned by others, but for they work better than nothing for some. Of course, a shotgun isn't my first choice for SD anyway...AR15 FTW. Lighter, shorter, less recoil, more rounds, longer range... My 870 holds down the rearmost spot in my gunsafe.

Check your math: 3 is 50% greater than 2. 2 x 1.5 = 3. You might be getting mixed up because 1 is 33% of 3.

As far as a double barrelled shotty for self defense: I actually recommend this setup to people who I know aren't going to train. Untrained people can short stroke pump shotguns under stress, and semi-autos can jam, especially low cost ones that "non-gun" people are likely to buy.

Sure, a double only has two rounds, but the majority of bad guys aren't going to stick around to find out that you're out of ammo after two blasts of buckshot come at them. Doubles, like revolvers, are simple to operate, and even the average "non-gun" person can figure them out.

So they aren't for me, for the reasons mentioned by others, but for they work better than nothing for some. Of course, a shotgun isn't my first choice for SD anyway...AR15 FTW. Lighter, shorter, less recoil, more rounds, longer range... My 870 holds down the rearmost spot in my gunsafe.
I agree with most of what you're saying. The only things I'd question are the round count and range capabilities.

How many projectiles leave the barrel of your AR15 with each trigger press?

How many leave the barrel of a 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buck?

Recoil isn't as big an issue when you're putting nine projectiles on target with each trigger press.

Since we're discussing home defense, what's the longest shot in your home?

I'm going to be the first to say that a shotgun for defensive purposes isn't for everyone. Shooting a shotgun well takes work on the part of the shooter. For those that disagree, I'd recommend taking a class like Homefront Shotgun or Social Shotgun taught by @FirstPersonSafety either class is an eye opener.

I agree with most of what you're saying. The only things I'd question are the round count and range capabilities.

How many projectiles leave the barrel of your AR15 with each trigger press?

How many leave the barrel of a 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buck?

Recoil isn't as big an issue when you're putting nine projectiles on target with each trigger press.

Since we're discussing home defense, what's the longest shot in your home?

I'm going to be the first to say that a shotgun for defensive purposes isn't for everyone. Shooting a shotgun well takes work on the part of the shooter. For those that disagree, I'd recommend taking a class like Homefront Shotgun or Social Shotgun taught by @FirstPersonSafety either class is an eye opener.

Only one round per trigger squeeze, but that round is carrying a lot of energy, and they travel in pairs. Putting eight or nine projectiles in the target with one squeeze is nice, unless you miss and have to deal with the recoil before you send out more.

With the AR I'm 30 rounds away from needing a reload. And let's say it doesn't come to shooting, and I need to hold him at gunpoint until cops arrive. Shoulder a fully loaded shotgun, especially one with an extended mag. See how long you can hold it. All that lead in that mag tube gets heavy..

Plus a non NFA shotgun is longer, so the carbine is easier to manipulate indoors. Add up all of this, and AR's ability to do medium range stuff, and you get to my decision to train for serious things with the AR. For me, it's better to train with one gun for everything.

The advantage of "nine pellets per trigger pull" of a shotgun is supposed to mean what, in practical terms?

That you put 9 holes in your target, and thus kill it swiftly and certainly? Hammer-of-Thor knockdown power?

Okay, if you aim or point well, that's true. Buckshot out of a shotgun at typical across-the-room distances IS about as good as it gets as a manstopper.

But, is a .223 soft point any different? How many people have been hit center of mass with a 5.56 mm soft-point round and failed to flop over and cease whatever they were doing (like breathing, living, etc...)?
FMJ rounds are required by the rules of war, and expected for military forces, but we as citizens should use whatever works best, and I say a soft-point hunting bullet from a rifle round is on par with a shotgun slug or load of buckshot. Both are top of the list for manstoppers.

So then, does the 9-pellet load of a shotgun make it easier to hit the target? Harder to miss when you're slinging that much lead at the adversary?
NO ! It's nothing like that, at typical self-defense distances in or around your home.
At 10 yards, the spread will likely be 7 -8 inches. So it's EASY to miss. You'll likely miss all 9 pellets or hit with all 9. Either way, it's not going to be much different in practical use compared to shooting at the bad guy with a rifle.

Check your math: 3 is 50% greater than 2. 2 x 1.5 = 3. You might be getting mixed up because 1 is 33%

Please tell us all, what is 50 percent of 2?
50%= 1/2,
1/2 of 2 is 1,
2+1=3
so he is correct that you have a 50 percent increase is ammo.
However you are also correct that 1/2 of 3 is 1.5. You have to start with the original number (which is 2) not the answer which is 3 when you are calculating percentage.

I know,I know, freaking math Nazi

Actually it's only 33% more capacity, I'll stick with my 1300 Defender

When you go from 2 to 3, you are increasing by 50%
But when you have 3 and go back down to 2, you are decreasing by 33.3%

An even simpler example is doubling a number from 1 to 2; that is a 100% increase.

But if you start with two, and then shrink it to one, you have experienced a 50% decrease.

If you start with a 3-barrel shotgun and then add a 4th barrel, you have increased the number of barrels by 33.3%. That's because the one extra barrel has to be expressed as what it would represent compsred to the three original barrels you started with.

If you have four and add one more, you are adding 25% when you reach the new total of five.

But if you start with five and go down to four, you are decreasing by 20% .

Only one round per trigger squeeze, but that round is carrying a lot of energy, and they travel in pairs. Putting eight or nine projectiles in the target with one squeeze is nice, unless you miss and have to deal with the recoil before you send out more.

If they are traveling in pairs that's two trigger presses, not one. :)

Missing is a possibility however it shouldn't be an alternative. All kidding aside, a 12 gauge's recoil is not that bad. Maybe I'm just better suited to deal with it than most folks.

With the AR I'm 30 rounds away from needing a reload. And let's say it doesn't come to shooting, and I need to hold him at gunpoint until cops arrive. Shoulder a fully loaded shotgun, especially one with an extended mag. See how long you can hold it. All that lead in that mag tube gets heavy..

Whats the average response time in your area? Can you keep an AR shouldered for that duration? The OP was about double barrels, not pumps or semi autos nor their weight with a long, extended tube. Let's not get off on a rabbit trail.

Plus a non NFA shotgun is longer, so the carbine is easier to manipulate indoors. Add up all of this, and AR's ability to do medium range stuff, and you get to my decision to train for serious things with the AR. For me, it's better to train with one gun for everything.

True, an 18" shotgun vs a 16" carbine is a bit more difficult to manipulate in confined spaces. A 16" AR is more difficult to manipulate in confined spaces than a pistol with 15 round magazine. That's a training issue that most folks don't care to spend the time working out.

I've yet to find any gun that can do it all. A shotgun is a devastating weapon at typical home defense distances, and out to 35-50 yards using FliteControl buckshot, depending on your gun. It's certainly not for everyone, that's not to say that an AR is superior or vice versa. Both have their pros and cons.

Do you not have pistols in your preparation plan at all? Is an AR your only option?

I can see a double being a good option for someone with no SD knowledge. Even a single barrel since they are simple as well.

Pump for me
20" cylinder bore 870 8rd of #4 buck and a big bright ass light/strobe

Please tell us all, what is 50 percent of 2?
50%= 1/2,
1/2 of 2 is 1,
2+1=3
so he is correct that you have a 50 percent increase is ammo.
However you are also correct that 1/2 of 3 is 1.5. You have to start with the original number (which is 2) not the answer which is 3 when you are calculating percentage.

I know,I know, freaking math Nazi
The hell with all this math BS, I'll just unleash 7 rounds of double aught buck shot, and see if any intruders are still standing!

Back
Top Bottom