• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SxS for home defense?

I have an upcoming class at TruPrep in Marietta called "Defensive Shotgun: Setup & Use". I'll cover:
-Brief history of the shotgun's use as a combat arm
-Pump vs semi-auto vs break-action
-Semi-autos, gas-operated vs recoil-operated vs inertia-operated
-Pros and cons of various manufacturers' models
-Differences between an 870 Police model and a non-Police model
-Ammunition
-Accessories, such as sights, lights, optics, slings, ammo carriers, stocks, etc.
-Differences in chokes, backboring, and lengthening of the forcing cone(s)
-Loading, unloading, and switching loads with various models
-Use of different types of slings
-Transitioning to a Secondary Weapon (handgun)
-Use of strong and support side cover
-Maintenance
-Safe storage

My personal preference is a short 12ga pump action. Nearly as reliable as a sxs, less likely to jam than an auto.

I see about as many malfunctions with pumps as I do with semi-autos in my classes. Most malfunctions with pumps are user-error. Most malfunctions with semi-autos are due to ammo or lack of maintenance.

My thoughts on an HD shotgun differ from others here. I do everything humanly possible to DECREASE the size of my shot pattern.

I run a Wilson Combat Rem870 with a 14" Remington LE barrel with fixed Modified choke and use Federal Premium LE Reduced Recoil 9-pellet 00 buck. Then I sent the barrel to Vang Comp to have the barrel backbored and the forcing cone lengthened. Together, these mods tighten shot patterns and decrease recoil. When I finish testing, I'll post before and after pics of the differences in shot patterns at 3/5/7/10/15/25yds.

I want every single pellet to go into the vital area, not just "let fly and hit 'em with a few". That's the wrong mindset to have with a defensive shotgun.

I looked at these. They will not fire when pointed down. Some kind of gay safety feature Mossberg put in it. No thank you.
It seriously won't fire if it's pointed down?!

That's the kind of stupid bull**** that can malfunction at the wrong time and get you killed.

I hope the genius that came up with that "feature" is no longer designing guns.

I have an upcoming class at TruPrep in Marietta called "Defensive Shotgun: Setup & Use". I'll cover:
-Brief history of the shotgun's use as a combat arm
-Pump vs semi-auto vs break-action
-Semi-autos, gas-operated vs recoil-operated vs inertia-operated
-Pros and cons of various manufacturers' models
-Differences between an 870 Police model and a non-Police model
-Ammunition
-Accessories, such as sights, lights, optics, slings, ammo carriers, stocks, etc.
-Differences in chokes, backboring, and lengthening of the forcing cone(s)
-Loading, unloading, and switching loads with various models
-Use of different types of slings
-Transitioning to a Secondary Weapon (handgun)
-Use of strong and support side cover
-Maintenance
-Safe storage
Have you picked a date yet?

True enough, but again, who is going to have a pocket full of shells when using it for self defense? It does have its drawbacks.
See, they have these things that go on your butt stock that will hold 4-5 additional rounds. It just slips right on.

Then, you have another firearm nearby. If you run out, you retreat to the next line of defense. A second firearm is the fastest reload and fastest "unjam".

All of the articles I have read on self defense situations in the home typically only involved 1-2 shots maybe 3. The perps usually scatter like roaches once the first shot goes off. There is this primal fear of "oh crap, I am being shot at" that I think we all have. Your hit ratio goes up drastically with a shoulder fired long gun and a shotgun is probably the fastest man stopper at close range over any other weapon with the right load.

Does anyone really think that when that pack of thugs comes in your home and you shoot the 1st one the rest are going to keep coming? They are going to leave dodge. Just make sure you get the first shot off and you hit your mark.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom