• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Synthetic Blend Motor oil....

Great thread. I have a 96 Chevy Z71 Reg cab with 269K original engine 5.7. What oil and filter do you recommend?

You did not get to 269K by accident, so keep doing what you are doing :)

I do not have direct experience with that motor. Having said, I would use Quaker State Defy. It is a high mileage oil with boosted zinc. Higher zinc is is critical for engines with flat tappets/lifters, which, I believe your engine has.
If it were my truck, I would use 5w40 oil in it as well. It is fine to use year around in GA, and older engine will benefit from thicker oil at operating temperatures.
HDEO, heavy duty engine oil, a dual purpose diesel/gasoline oil like RotellaT6 or Dello400 would be other good choice.

I would run it for 4K miles in your application. Oil is cheap, and I do not know how your engine reacts to slightly thinner oil. Old engines and timing chains beat the heck out of oils.

I like Napa Gold, BoschDistancePlus, PureOne, K&N and Wix oil filters.

Chances are if you go to bobistheoildguy.com you will find that someone has the same engine and played with the variety of oils and did used oil analysis. That's my go to for all questions re auto fluids.

some additional info here is also make sure you know your engine and its component when deciding how often to change your oil. For example my Miata and our mazda3 all have Variable valve timing and so should be changed at maximum every 4000 but is better at 3000, but my trucks don't have anything like this so they are all 5000 miles in between

Mobil 1 makes both Group 3 and group 4 Synthetics. Long life are Group 4.

Also, oil does not go bad. Every year Autozone clears a lot of oil to make room for new brands and weights. I have 3-4 years worth of synthetic and semi-syn ouil that I had picked up for $2 a quart, such as M1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w30 and QS Defy 5w30.
You can use 0w-30 oil in ANY place where 5w-30 is recommended. All it does is give you better start up protection. To make 0w manufacturers have to use much more synthetic base oil and better additive packages (more stable viscosity modifiers in particular), so, all things being equal, a 0w30 oil is more robust than 5w30 oil of the same brand and type.

PS OP, this the only other additive I recommend adding to oil, beside Lubromoly and MMO (under certain circumstances)
https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2...UTF8&qid=1492608126&sr=8-2&keywords=oil+saver

I have used it when I had no High Mileage oil on hand, and it worked great. If you were closer, I would give you a bottle or two, I had stocked up on the cheap.

Oil Saver had to pass German governemnt test (as all of Liqui Moly products) to prove that it does what it says it does.
Dang you, I wanna buy some of their stuff now

Shell Rotella T in everything I own. 15W40 in the big stuff. (Cummins 855, Multifuels, 6.2 diesels) 5W40 full syn in the rest. (Liberty CRD, Jeep Unlimited with a 3.8, Denali with a 5.3, motorcycles, lawn mower, exc.)

The 5.3 used to burn oil. Switched to the rotella T and it's cleaned up all the sludge and stopped oil consumption. Rotella T is good oil. Yes, it's a diesel oil.

Shell Rotella T in everything I own. 15W40 in the big stuff. (Cummins 855, Multifuels, 6.2 diesels) 5W40 full syn in the rest. (Liberty CRD, Jeep Unlimited with a 3.8, Denali with a 5.3, motorcycles, lawn mower, exc.)

The 5.3 used to burn oil. Switched to the rotella T and it's cleaned up all the sludge and stopped oil consumption. Rotella T is good oil. Yes, it's a diesel oil.
I've thought about running T6 in my 4-wheeler. I've seen a lot of people on ATV forums talking about using it and they say it works great.

Nice topic and great info

Now I have a related question

How many miles is a Mobil 1/ KN/synthetic oil filter good for? Ive read some people change the oil filter "every other change"

Back
Top Bottom