• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taco 3.5 VS 4.0 V6

DinkyDau

Coast Guard Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
Your only as good as your word!
171   0
Reaction score
I am pulling the trigger after the 1st of the year on a Tacoma..I believe the 4.0 is available up to 2016 and then they started putting 3.5 in the 2017 to current. I have read a ton of write up's on both engines..What say you and why?

2015 was the last year of the 4.0

The 4.0 is a great engine, mpg isn’t great but a solid motor that will go for a long, long time.

The 3.5 isn’t a new engine, just new in the Tacoma. It is used in several vehicles from the Toyota and Lexus line up. It makes more hp, the torque is a little lackluster compared to the 4.0, which is why I went with a manual to get the different gearing. I get 3 mpg better in my 2020 than I did in my 2015.

Both were/are the double cab TRD Off-road 4x4. The only difference is my 2020 is a 6 speed manual vs the auto in the 2015.

We also have a 2005 4Runner with the 4.0 that we bought new. It has 250k miles on it. Replaced the plugs, fluids, brake pads, rotors, and had the valve covers replaced. Been a solid vehicle.

I have no experience with the '16+ 3.5L, but my '15 4.0L has been great for my brief ownership experience so far.

Found a '15 PreRunner SR5 with a single owner this past February. Only had 20,4xx miles. I'm at 35,6xx now without a hiccup.

I did all fresh fluids, filters, and plugs when I bought it. The driver side bank of plugs is a bit finicky to get to but easy nonetheless. Toyota ran NGK on one bank and Denso on the other which was odd. Replaced with a full set of Densos.

I have a Ride88 2-bike rack that lives in my bed. I don't do any towing so I can't speak to that. As a daily driver and MTB hauler it does admirably.

I've tracked fuel consumption since I got it and I'm averaging 22.8 MPG so far.

Oil changes every 5k are a breeze.

Overall, a very low stress truck to live with so far. Plenty of interior space too. Love it!

Tacoma's 3.5L is the Atkinson cycle gas motor straight out of Toyota's hybrid vehicles similar to the Prius and is the main reason I did not buy the Tacoma for the wifey back in 2016 when she needed something to replace her Dakota.

The Atkinson Cycle gas motors do not produce enough the zippy torque for the get-up and go needed to safely merge and pass in metropolitan area's, but is a great motor when you add a couple electric motors for the up-front, off the line.. zoom (hybrids).

The 2015 and earlier Tacoma's did not have a decent reverse/backup camera or other modern safety tech the wifey wanted so waited for the new model (2016) but one test-drive around the parking lot and she said "lets go get that Ridgeline" and there's been no looking back since then for her and several of our friends.
So she really didn't want a truck?

:becky:

I am pulling the trigger after the 1st of the year on a Tacoma..I believe the 4.0 is available up to 2016 and then they started putting 3.5 in the 2017 to current. I have read a ton of write up's on both engines..What say you and why?

Both are tough engines. Please take your time and find a well maintained one, unless you're looking at a new one. I know you treat your vehicle(s) well.

Here's 3.5 replacement for someone who went wheeling, cracked the radiator then decided to drive down the mountain while overheating... to the point of melting intake manifold and valve covers into the engine.

20210415_162904.jpg

DinkyDau DinkyDau I have the 4.0 in my truck and my son has the 3.5 in his 2021. I love mine as he does his. I agree that the 3.5 doesn't have quite the pep of the 4 liter but I don't picture you as the boy racer type that will necessarily need it. You'll enjoy either IMO.
Best of luck.

Gen 2 is very DIY-friendly for basic maintenance except for transmission fluid. No experience with Gen 3 but I don’t like the new oil filters.

General Tacoma tip. Get as aggressive a tire as you need and no more. People put serious offroad tires on there to get to the grocery store and back. Then they complain the ride is rough.

Back
Top Bottom