• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tactics - Drawing on Bad Guy

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
The gunfight at the Church of Christ in White Settlement, Texas two weeks ago featured a church security volunteer standing up in front of the gunman / robber, sweeping his coat back for the draw, and reaching for his holstered pistol while the gunman stood there pointing a shotgun in his direction. This brave good guy didn't get to fire the first shot of that gun battle-- nor any shots. The gunman killed him as soon as he brought his weapon out for the gunman to see. Then the gunman killed another "good guy" before another armed church security person popped him in the brain and turned him off like a light switch.

Yesterday here in Gwinnett county Georgia (suburb of Atlanta) an armed robber held up an auto parts store. He had his gun pointed at a female clerk when an older male employee in the back heard some commotion up there and thought something suspicious was going on. He came up front, saw it was a robbery, and according to at least one report, drew his gun in full view of the gunman.
Well, the robber shot him and killed him; the good guy never got off a shot.
He was a 63-year-old recently-retired Gwinnett County deputy.

Lesson in TACTICS: Don't start your draw when the bad guy sees you and already has his gun out. You are too likely to lose.
Even dumbass gangster thugs that hold their gun sideways and have no idea what sights are for can sometimes point shoot pretty effectively out to maybe 7 yards. That's within the distance that almost all self-defense shootings-- or murders --occur.

News articles about that retired Gwinnett County Court getting killed in the robbery at the auto parts store where he worked:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/re...uto-shop-shooting/P4ZTMBCHR5AKBLYIJHWVL7J4ZE/

"[retired deputy] Cosme was working in the back of the store
when a robber confronted an employee,
telling her to open the cash register.

Cosme pulled a gun, but the robber shot him first.

The other employee wasn't hurt."

Well, I guess there goes Bloomberg's argument that you should wait for the cops (even retired) to show up and take care of the bad guys.

The gunfight at the Church of Christ in White Settlement, Texas two weeks ago featured a church security volunteer standing up in front of the gunman / robber, sweeping his coat back for the draw, and reaching for his holstered pistol while the gunman stood there pointing a shotgun in his direction. This brave good guy didn't get to fire the first shot of that gun battle-- nor any shots. The gunman killed him as soon as he brought his weapon out for the gunman to see. Then the gunman killed another "good guy" before another armed church security person popped him in the brain and turned him off like a light switch.

Yesterday here in Gwinnett county Georgia (suburb of Atlanta) an armed robber held up an auto parts store. He had his gun pointed at a female clerk when an older male employee in the back heard some commotion up there and thought something suspicious was going on. He came up front, saw it was a robbery, and according to at least one report, drew his gun in full view of the gunman.
Well, the robber shot him and killed him; the good guy never got off a shot.
He was a 63-year-old recently-retired Gwinnett County deputy.

Lesson in TACTICS: Don't start your draw when the bad guy sees you and already has his gun out. You are too likely to lose.
Even dumbass gangster thugs that hold their gun sideways and have no idea what sights are for can sometimes point shoot pretty effectively out to maybe 7 yards. That's within the distance that almost all self-defense shootings-- or murders --occur.
You gotta wait your turn. That's what this good guy did and it went well for him.

Learned that in the academy many moons ago. You can't out draw a weapon that is already drawn and trained on you. I watched that poor noble man try and do the right thing, but he was a day late and a dollar short. This am, I heard about the man in the auto parts store, trying to do the same as the man in the church.
Training, training and training.

You gotta wait your turn. That's what this good guy did and it went well for him.

I think this guy did so much right.
It is mentioned he shot with one hand and that he didnt have a quality holster. I wonder if he had dropped his phone if it would have drawn attention to him? I also wonder if he had been wearing a kydex holster if the click would have warned the bad guy?

Back
Top Bottom