• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taking a silencer out of state question

https://www.esilencers.com/process-transporting-nfa-item-across-state-lines/

From the article:

First off, as long as its legal to own or possess a Suppressor in the state you are traveling to, then you will NOT have to get permission from the ATF to transport your Suppressors to that state.

The following NFA items are the ones you will have to get permission first:

1. SBR’s (Short Barrel Rifles)
  2. SBS’s (Short Barrel Shotguns)
  3. MachineGuns
  4. 4.Destructive Devices
  5. AOW’s

I'm not 100% positive either way. But I know I was supposed to if I took my SBR's out of the state. That's why I keep pistol lowers laying around. I assume it's the same for any NFA items.

The way I understand it that is only for MGs and SBRs. As long as owning a suppressor is legal in that state there is no paperwork to fill out....but what do I know I don't own any NFA items

As long as its legal within the states that you are traveling Thru and to you are good to go without permission Do it all the time for matches

Only person he would legally have to talk to would be working for the ATF...they should know their own guidelines/laws?
Having to LEGALLY talk to - vs. realistically having to deal with are 2 separate things. If a cop pulled me over and saw my hunting rig with suppressor in the back - I don't want to be educating him of his and my rights on the side of the road. If he asks - I'll just show him the paperwork and hopefully be on my way.

Having to LEGALLY talk to - vs. realistically having to deal with are 2 separate things. If a cop pulled me over and saw my hunting rig with suppressor in the back - I don't want to be educating him of his and my rights on the side of the road. If he asks - I'll just show him the paperwork and hopefully be on my way.

Fair enough! That is your property and prerogative. I won't argue that with you at all.

Back
Top Bottom